Voltage regulator

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cjbeesley
MMOC Member: No

Voltage regulator

Post by Cjbeesley »

Hello guys, having a an issue with my Morris minor 1000, every time I turn key to start car the car the A track in blowing in voltage regulator, done abit of research and had abit of advice saying it could be bad earth ect and checked wires and cleaned up all terminals ect, I've just ordered ignition switch and starter solenoid, doing a test today to see if it's starter motor shorting out but I believe it's the solenoid but any advice would be great.
TIA

Chris
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Voltage regulator

Post by MCYorks »

Cjbeesley wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:26 am Hello guys, having a an issue with my Morris minor 1000, every time I turn key to start car the car the A track in blowing in voltage regulator, done abit of research and had abit of advice saying it could be bad earth ect and checked wires and cleaned up all terminals ect, I've just ordered ignition switch and starter solenoid, doing a test today to see if it's starter motor shorting out but I believe it's the solenoid but any advice would be great.
TIA

Chris
Hi Chris,

Something must be drawing a lot of current if it's blowing connections in the voltage regulator! You need to be careful because the A connection on the regulator is the main supply from the battery. It's unfused, so there is a lot of power available if something goes wrong.

The symptoms would appear indicate a short circuit somewhere between the key starter switch and starter solenoid. The solenoid has a white wire with a red trace. You could try disconnecting this and then turn the key starter switch. If it has cleared the short, then the starter solenoid is probably faulty. If you still have a short circuit then the problem is either the key starter switch or the white/red wire to the starter solenoid.

Note: I've assumed you have a standard setup, without any modifications to the wiring, etc. :wink: