Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dnac
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

I want to upgrade my Wiper Motor

Post by dnac »

Hi, as it says above, I want to upgrade my wiper motor to a dual speed self parking unit.

Does anyone know what type I should look for?

Thanks

Dave
Onne

Post by Onne »

Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
dnac
Minor Friendly

Post by dnac »

Thanks for that, but its a bit more than I wanted to pay, was ideally looking to see if there was one I could get and convert, for a few quid out of a scrappy
paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

I assume the mini one will do the job and with a 2 position light switch to replace the wiper switch it could be made to operate.

What I don't know is if the mini unit wipes as far as the Minor one (150° on a 1098)

I was planning to go scrappy hunting with this in mind this week but if anyone has done this and has the appropriate info i would be interested too.
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I will look the details up tonight but I am sure its a Marina wiper motor you need to get the right arc unless you have a splitscreen where its much easier.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

From rough memory the Mini wiper gearbox is very very similar to the Minor one - So if the Mini one does have the wrong sweep (which I doubt, given the similar screen sizes, linkages and BMC parts bin loving tendancies) it might be possible to swap various bits around :)

You will need to make a bracket to hold the Mini one though as it's held in by a strap rather than bolted down.
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

istr that the mini one does have a different sweep, but by pinching bits from the mog gearbox you can make a mini one with the right sweep and dual speed.

It's something I've been meaning to do for the last... 5 years. :-)
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Hmmm, I have Mini and Minor motors here... And don't want/ need any of them!

Might be an interesting project if I ever have time to play :)
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

I have done the Mini/Minor 2 speed wiper conversion and from memory (it was about 10 years ago!) it was a lot of work! I remember having to use the Minor gear as i had "clap hands" wipers on a 1962 saloon, and that a fair bit of machining etc was done to get it all to work well!

Paul, if you are considering this (although with the new motor you now have i wouldn't have thought you would need too! :wink: ) i could bring along said motor to SADMOG for you to look at (if i can find it!). The reason i went the way i did was because i was using the Mini switch gear to get everything (lights, horn, wipers, ignition with steering lock etc) up onto the column which i must admit was nice! (although that also took a fair bit of work to get right!) :o
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The method is covered in the Marina to Minor book and has been stated involves quite a bit of work including machining and the wipers from the Mini, Marina and Allegro will all do.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
TeHoro
Minor Friendly

Post by TeHoro »

I have used a Morris 1300 wiper motor and drive cable with a 120 degree drive plate that worked well to get the correct stroke (in a late model Minor). I might have switched the parking block (on the driven gear) to get it to park correctly, can't recall exactly. If you are buying the motor from a scrapyard make sure you get the locating bush that holds the cable at the gearbox exit.

You will probably need some sort of mount adaptor to hold the motor - the one I got uses a clamp around the motor body, but I have seen others that use similar supports to the minor one.

This site has some wiring information:

http://www.geocities.com/sprite-midget/wipers.htm

Trev.
dnac
Minor Friendly

Post by dnac »

Hmm, after all that the one for sale by ESM is looking mighty appealing!!!!
paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

Paul, if you are considering this (although with the new motor you now have i wouldn't have thought you would need too! ) i could bring along said motor to SADMOG for you to look at (if i can find it!). The reason i went the way i did was because i was using the Mini switch gear to get everything (lights, horn, wipers, ignition with steering lock etc) up onto the column which i must admit was nice! (although that also took a fair bit of work to get right!)
:oops: Carlo this is in no way impuning your perfect wiper motor.

I was thinking of this as an option when I got the car but as I couldn't find my old mini bits(mum's cleaned the old garage out) it's just a way to make the car more day to day drivable.

If you could bring that motor along I'd be grateful :D
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

I'll look it out aswell! :D I must add that i am not willing to part with it as i have it earmarked for one of my "projects"! :D :wink:
Nourish
Minor Fan

Re: I want to upgrade my Wiper Motor

Post by Nourish »

Kevin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:32 pm I will look the details up tonight but I am sure its a Marina wiper motor you need to get the right arc unless you have a splitscreen where its much easier.

Why is it easier with a split screen motor?
Peege

Post by Peege »

Hi,

I fitted a timer box and a 2 position switch to my wiper system.

I now have a normal speed and intermittent sweep of about 5 seconds on the second switch position. In total less than £20.
The timer is adjustable, assessed through the glove box.

Much better than a 2 speed system.

Cheers,

Peege
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Why not a 2 speed with an intermittent and maybe a flick switch for just one wipe - I have a Ford KA wiper indicator switch if I could understand how to wire it up!
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

What type of wiper motor do you currently have fitted?
I've previously read that the standard DR3A unit was also available as a two speed unit for some vehicles. It involved inserting a resistance in series with the field coil, which reduces the field current and causes the motor to run faster. However, there was a special switch arrangement and some important rules to follow. There's a great explanation of how it works here.https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/pdf/2spd_dr3a2.pdf

I did wonder if the Minor wiper motor and switchgear could be modified to work in the same way?
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Interesting reading, I've filed that as I'm waiting for a used Lucas 14W 2 speed wiper motor to arrive to see if it will fit in the glove box. The standard motor of course is a CRT for the split screen.
Thanks
Martin