Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dave1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Wiring Query

Post by dave1949 »

Can anyone tell me what the added bit to the fuse box could be and why it was added, also if i remove it which wire goes where :roll:
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Dave,

as far as I can see it is a connector block. normally the purple and green cables go to the top and bottom fuse respectively. For some reason the fuses now feed through this connector, could it be that the original (purple and green) wires are now too short or something like that?

The odd thing is those cables have what look like original type lucar connectors (i.e. not the normal DIY ones) but the fuse block is a screw type, maybe an incorrect replacement of one or the other?

Alec
Willie
Minor Legend

fuse wiring

Post by Willie »

You may find that the threads on the original terminals adjacent to the ends of the fuses are worn so that, if more than one wire is inserted into the terminal the screw will no longer grip properly? For example
the fuse with several white wires on it should have several green wires on the other end of the fuse but yours have been fitted to the extra
contact block so that only one wire needs to be fitted to the original terminal instead of three. The normal layout would be: TOP LEFT=
one Brown lead. Top Right: 2X Purple leads. Bottom left: 3X White leads. Bottom Right: at least 3X Green leads (there are two terminals for the bottomj right). As far as I can tell from the indistinct colours there is nothing wrong with you connections they are just not as original.
Last edited by Willie on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

I'm trying to remember how it normally goes.

Isn't it brown into the ign switch, then white out to the fuse box (and coil/ pump)? The white into the fusebox comes out the other side into the green wires. Then there's a brown feed into the fuse box which comes out purple - For the horn, interior light and maybe other things I can't remember.

Looking at that pic it appears brown goes into the fuse box, then out into the white - This seems very wrong. Then there's other brown wires which look extremely wrong - Either someone has utterly chopped the loom about, or more likely bought a load of one colour of wire... And utterly chopped the loom about.

If it was my car, I'd be seriously thinking about redoing the whole lot.
dave1949
Minor Fan

Post by dave1949 »

Anyone got a pic of how it should be??It just looks a bit Heath Robbo to me. :roll:
Willie
Minor Legend

layout

Post by Willie »

see my post
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
Packedup
Minor Legend

Re: fuse wiring

Post by Packedup »

Willie wrote:As far as I can tell from the indistinct colours there is nothing wrong with you connections they are just not as original.
Looking again, I think you're right. I didn't spot the brown wires looped behind the heater hoses (just come in from swearing at my exhaust in the rain), thought they disappeared.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense though, if a screw terminal fuse box is there why not lop the spades off the sires and hook them up as usual? Or stick spades on the other wires and drop a spade terminal box in place?

It does look like a messy thrown together fix either way.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

if it was mine and everything was working I would leave well alone,unless you want oringinality,If its not broken don't fix it,you might get more trouble .