Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
candy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Coil immobilisation

Post by candy »

Hi, When shorting the coil to earth , i take it that it should be done on the switch side of the coil . Correct me if i,m wrong. I found a switch by the wiper motor ,under the dash and there was an extra wire on one of the posts but i have forgotten which side. Just changed the loom so chopped all old wire out. Also there was a 'Selmar' (70's ?) car alarm on the bulkhead with a couple of wires that ended up in the boot attached to a keyed barrel. 56 4 door splitty.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

The points take the coil circuit to ground (when closed).
Therefore if you take an extra wire from the points side of the coil to a switch to ground you are replicating what the points do and this will stop the points from having an effect when the engine is turned (i.e. no spark). You can also patch in to the circuit at the points connector.

If the wire and switch are less obvious then they offer more protection.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But when you do that - you are dragging current through the coil to ground all the time (if ignition switched on - and the hidden switch is closed) - so the coil will overheat and the battery run flat! I prefer to simply interrupt the feed to the coil - same effect, engine won't go - and no current drain or overheating coil. But on Minor with electric pump - the hidden pump switch is king!
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

For convenience, I used the little known (edited on the grounds of security, Kevin) as a ********* who wants to •••••••••• (edited on the grounds of security, Andrew :D) ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It 'may' not have enough current carrying capacity! But - you shouldn't reveal your little secrets like that on a public forum anyway!
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

:oops:
candy
Minor Friendly

Post by candy »

Ta, I,ll tap into the supply to the coil and do another likewise with the fuel pump.
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Candy,

as the ignition switch feeds both the coil and the fuel pump, then one switch directly after the ignition switch will do both together.

Alec
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The beauty of the pump switch is - the car starts and they may begin to drive away, and then to their dismay it cuts out! They have now moved the car and are looking pretty obvious - so they are likely to abandon it and run away. A coil (or general ignition) cut out switch means the car won't start - they may then quietly find a way to 'hotwire' it - it's very very easy, and I won't tell how on here! - and off they go with your car.
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

you are dragging current through the coil to ground all the time (if ignition switched on -
You are doing exactly that if the points are closed, so with or without a switched ground for security you can heat the coil and drain the battery.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - which is why the car should never be left for any time with the ignition ON and the engine not running!
ImageImage
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

but at the end of the day if it did burn out the coil and flatten the battery that is nothing compared to the loss of the car.

Its a neat solution in that if done correctly it is virtually invisable and would required a bit of messy engine dagnostics to find, also it has a fail safe aspect in that if the mod fails it tends to leave things as they were so it all still works, adding a switch on the live side of the coil adds another potential point of failure to the system.

pump stop switches are very obvious to anyone who knows a minor well (we all expect the pump tick when we turn the key)
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage