Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
katiekat
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Firing order problem?

Post by katiekat »

Hello everyone!

I changed my distibutor cap and HT leads and now Molly the Minor won't start. :oops:

Could I have mixed the leads up?

Has anyone got a picture of the leads connected up properly?

Also, how would I change the rotor arm?

Thanks a lot for any help!
:wink:
[sig]9631[/sig]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

The rotor arm just pulls off and the new one pushes on.... Firing order is 1,3,4,2. Assuming your distributor is in the correct position then number 1 lead should be at about 10.00 o'clock (looking from front). This lead should go to the front most spark plug. Then go round the dist cap anti clockwise. The next lead should go to the third plug, the next the 4th plug and the last one to number 2 plug.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

Thanks for that!

Does this look right then?<br>Image<br>
[sig]9631[/sig]
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I've got this wrong so many times working on different cars so now I have fitted black cable ties to the leads. 1 for plug 1, 2 for No 2 etc. They are barely noticable and providing you remove the lead from the sparkplug not the dizzy cap you won't get it wrong again.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

No, it's a bit difficult to tell but it looks like you have number 4 plug lead going to number 1 on the dist....
[sig]8426[/sig]

katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

Does the number 1 lead go in the disributor cap nearest the ground?
[sig]9631[/sig]
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

The best thing is to take out all the plugs, stick your finger over number 1 cyclinder (the front one) and turn the engine using the handle until you feel compression coming up. Then align the timing marks so that the engine and distributor are at No 1 firing position. Look at the rotor arm and holding the cap in place, see which terminal is going to take the spark. Then it's simple to work round the cap with 1-3-4-2 (anti-clockwise).
katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

I just tried to start it with 1 of the spark plugs out and there didn't appear to be a spark. Why would that be?
[sig]9631[/sig]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

The spark plug has to earth to the engine so if it was just held up it wouldn't spark. Use insulated pliers to hold the plug close to engine (with lead attached) and get someone to turn engine over for you.
[sig]8426[/sig]

katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

Oh I see!

How would I test to see if the coil was working? The other day it was getting really hot.

What about the condenser, can I test that?

Thanks. :wink:
[sig]9631[/sig]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Coils do tend to run hot but make sure you have a 12 volt coil and not a 9 volt one off a Mini... Condensers are best just replaced as they are cheap.
[sig]8426[/sig]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Your firing order is correct - but are you sure that connection IS # ! ? The tip above with finger over hole is good.
Coil will be fine - retrace your actions. Did you ONLY change cap and leads ? Does the cap definitely have a little carbon brush in the centre - which must rest on the rotor arm. Don't get into condenser change !!!!!!!!!!
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

katie,pull the lead from the coil (Middle one)Out of the distributor and take off the distrbutor cap ,Hold the free end of the lead with insulated plier close to the engine block but not touching make sure the points are closed by turning the engine (Use the fan blades)and with a screw driver push the points in the distribtor open,if all is set up you should get a nice strong spark from the lead to the engine block. if not then the problem is with the coil ,Looking at your photo are both leads to the coil fixed can't see the other side of the coil where there is a blank terminal in the pic.is the lead attached on the otherside(The one at the top of the coil?,If you get a spark from the lead then the fault is with the distributor or leads. Is the little carbon contact in the centre of the cap actually there not common but sometime it is missing, Got your pm I'm rarly in sunderland>Haven't got a passport or visa :D :D If you do get it going and I'm sure you will the offer still stands good luck with it
katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

Thanks a lot!
[sig]9631[/sig]