not sparking correctly

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
copie
MMOC Member: No

not sparking correctly

Post by copie »

i havr just serviced my 803 SII. when changing the dizzy cap (bought from bull motif) it will no longer spark in the correct order. but when i put the old one back on it goes great. any ideas anyone.
Does anyone know what part number the dizzy is
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Obviously Bull have sent you the wrong cap - send it back! Does it look identical to the original ? Are you sure you are fitting the leads in the correct order - 1342 anti-clock around the dizzy.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Not meaning to be awkward here, but how on earth would a "wrong cap" alter the firing order? I guess the plug leads might be hard wired in the wrong order, but have no idea if early motors had leads like that
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Early side entry caps had screw in leads so can easily be changed around. So too could you just connect the leads to whichever plug you wanted so I am confused also. Maybe the cap is cracked and arcing causing an erratic spark?
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

as bg. no way a different cap can alter the firing order,only leads in the wrong order can do that
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Are both the caps the same ie side entry or top entry? If you are sure that the HT leads are connected in the correct order then the only fault could be a cracked dizzy cap which can be difficult to see but can do strange things to the firing order.
If the old one works great then why change it? It is not a service replacement item. Just check the carbon brush in the top is ok and scrape any corrosion of the brass contacts
[sig]3580[/sig]
beechford
Minor Fan

Post by beechford »

is the rotor button fitted correctly?
copie

Post by copie »

thanks for the replys. \its a side entry cap,leads are in the correct order and rotor arm is fine. Got a new one from Chig Doig here in Fife and it now works fine so the other one is going back to Bull
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I think CHIC Doig!! So - another Scots minor ! Post up your location in your profile. And - welcome to the forum!
ImageImage