Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
littleblackflash
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Wiring flasher relay

Post by littleblackflash »

I recieved yet another new flasher relay from ESM and I connected it tonight and to my shock,,,,, it worked. For the first time in 5 years my indicators always flash and at the correct speed.

However, the small light on the end of the indicator stalk is not flashing at all now. :( The wire to this light is conected onto the relay but is only getting 3-4 volts. If I connect it to another connection on the relay, the light stays on all the time, but blinks when turning.

How can I get this light to flash at the correct time?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Wiring flasher relay

Post by mike.perry »

Have you got a 3 pin flasher relay and is the warning light connected to the P terminal?
[sig]3580[/sig]
littleblackflash
Minor Fan

Yes. It is a 3 pin flasher.

Will Check tonight which pin the flasher is connect to. I know it is the middle one, but don't know what the marking is.

Is it possible that I have the other 2 the wrong way round?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

According to the manual B = green and L = green/brown. Some flashers have different terminal markings.
You should have a 42W or 2x21W flasher unit.
[sig]3580[/sig]
littleblackflash
Minor Fan

Perfect.
Will check them later when I get home. (late tonight, Stupid Company German lessons)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have a flasher marked X, P & L, presumably X = B. Rating 12V, 21Wx2 + 5W
[sig]3580[/sig]
littleblackflash
Minor Fan

Thanks, I did have X,L and P

It's all wired up correctly but I still have no signal out of the "P" for the indicator light. If I connect it to "L" it flashes in time but in the central position it stays on. I guess this is why we have the 3rd pin on the relay.
So all my wiring is correct but yet again I have a duff relay. Do I order a 3rd relay or can I open this relay up and fix it. Has anyone opened one before?
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

New relays are all rubbish - search ebay or autojumbles for a new old stock (NOS) item....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have had trouble with new relays. Go somewhere else to buy one although chances are everyone supplies the same rubbish
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you open it - you won't get money back - send it back!!
ImageImage
littleblackflash
Minor Fan

too late I opened it.

As expected, it's very simple inside and not very well made. The biometalic strip part was working but the little armiture on the end was bent and not touching the terminal for the indicator stalk when clicking in.

I repositioned it (bent it back) and now it is all working fine. For the first time I have fully working electrics.

Jobs left.
Fix rocking pedals.
Underseal the front wings.
Seat Belts
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Great success!
ImageImage
WGH

Post by WGH »

Further to the above, I got fed up with failing flasher units, bought a Nagares electronic flasher unit from Auto Electric Supplies, and fitted it to my 1968 traveller in September 2016 - see https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... ategory/35
The indicators and the stalk light all work, and I even get a clicking noise. It's a straight plug in replacement. With delivery and VAT it cost £14.11. The only connection I have with AES is as a customer.
MalcolmD

Post by MalcolmD »

Presumably - the flasher unit has correspond with the polarity for the vehicle wiring. I presumed that my Traveller was Positive earth as to the handbook wiring diagram but after burning out a replacement flasher I delved further to realise that the polarity had been changed to negative earth presumably because an alternator had ben fitted. I therefore now presume (presume - what a terrible word) that this has cause the flasher relay to take up smoking. Ordered a new dual polarity flasher relay from ESMM hopefully arrives before Saturday as last MOT needed (1971 model).
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I don't believe that flasher units are polarity sensitive anyway. I changed the polarity on one of our Minors years ago and the indicators & warning light still worked in exactly the same way as before.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Very old ones were not - they relied on bimetal contacts, so a mechanical (?) switch.

Later ones (when electronic ones were introduced) where introduced most were initially polarity conscious, but soon all were usable on either polarity.

Modern ones should not be polarity conscious (unless a really cheap chinese import?).
Pucketsport
Minor Friendly

Post by Pucketsport »

When we say that the flasher units are not polarity conscious, does that mean I must connect the X terminal to earth regardless of polarity or does that mean I can use the flasher with a positive earth car but must swap the X and L terminals ( so L goes to positive earth )
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I swapped from positive to negative earth on my '71 traveller and had no issue at all with the indicators, didn't touch any of the wiring associated with them so I guess they are not polarity sensitive.