Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Battery: 3-year guarantee

Post by millerman »

Two years ago I purchased a battery with a 3-year for the Trav from that well known parts supplier beginning with an 'H'.
the battery now only just starts the car so i took it back for a check.
The shop assistant came out with a large green test instrument and pronounced that the battery was unserviceable, had a word with the manager who sent him back out with the same test instrument to check the alternator. Battery once again unserviceable and it appeared the alternator output was 13.5 volts, had another word with the manager who said it was an alternator fault that that caused the battery to be unserviceable and I couldn't have a new battery under warranty!!

My test this morning, engine cold:

Battery voltage, before starting engine 12.45
engine running 14.45 volts
lights & heater switched on and engine running 14.10volts

It would appear the alternator has sufficient output, so suggestions welcome as to how I should proceed to obtain a battery under warranty
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: Battery: 3-year guarantee

Post by mike.perry »

Take your test equipment along and argue the case. I have their 4 year batteries in my cars and they seem to be OK so far. Problem will be finding the receipts when I need them :(
[sig]3580[/sig]
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Firstly do it in writing making a formal claim under the terms of their warranty. Then threaten them with the small claims court. If you dont get a response from the local shop go over their heads. Then local Trading Standards (that normally works)If all else fails then the afore mentioned small claims court is your final option
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Bill I like your style - straight for the jugular.

Might be a bit easier/quicker to get an independent report from an auto electrician then plead your case based on this or simply turn up with your own meter and argue that the battery is faulty and the alternator is within manufacturer limits and won't be affecting the battery adversly. Politely discuss the options(see Bills message) with the manager (not the assistant) quite loudly so others can't help but overhear and you never know they may change their mind.

If they continue to be unhelpful ask for the area manager or customer services etc, just depends how much hassle yu want to give yourself. :P
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

if the altinatoris giving 14.5 volts then go back again with your meter and tell them the battery is not fit for purpose.my dad had a halfords battery and it went after 3years 11 months they replaced it no fuss .this was a 4 year one .
[sig]5641[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The alternator is fine - they are just being bas%£&*s. It would be showing 13.5 volts because it was charging up a flatish battery! As you have shown - it goes up to 14 volts (14 .5 is bit high!) so it's working well. Go back - and demand to speak to area manager etc.
ImageImage
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

If the alternator is faulty you should still be able to charge the battery up overnight at a low current using a battery charger and see what it is like then.

Is the battery sealed for life? (I always avoid these.) If not I would test the cells with a hydrometer to see if one of them has failed.
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

Thanks for replies, haven't had time to get to H........ds, but will report back when I do