Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chris Edgar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Flasher units

Post by Chris Edgar »

I had a problem with the flasher unit on the Traveller and replaced the faulty one with a new unit bought from a local factor.

Whilst it worked it did not so much flash as pulse ...As good luck had it, a near neighbour recently supplied a load of MM bits he had kept for years in his garage amongst which were some Lucas units, still in their packaging.
I replaced the newly bought unit with a Lucas & there we were, nice crisp on/off flashing.

Next the Tourer had a flasher problem.
Now do I know that the unit had been replaced with a new one in July, just before we bought the car. Replacing it with one of the Lucas units has solved the problem...nice crisp flashing with an audible tick (that's if you have your head under the bonnet anyway)

Both of these duff units had no manufacturer names on them & seem to me to be of very poor quality as compared to the Lucas ones.

I wonder if there is a consensus of opinion regarding the current state of newly made units?

Another query...among the bits I got from the neighbour is a square, black plastic digital flasher unit, 3 terminals. I wonder if I should try it next time I need a new flasher unit, which hopefully will not be for a loooong time.

Chris
1958 4 door Morris Minor birch grey
1937 Austin Seven Ruby
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Re: Flasher units

Post by Rob_Jennings »

it is always a common problem that many parts are sub-standard, especially those not labeled

Just look at all the trouble non-lucas rotor arms have caused (they break down through the centre resulting in total loss of spark at the plug)

always use 'branded' if possible e.g. lucas for electrical, QH for break parts ..... there is always a risk it is a cheap copy if you don't know the supplier.

The digital flahser you have there might be one of those designed to flash any load (suitable for LEDs or even headlamps!!) if it is, it is not a direct replacement. It works with a ground and 12v supply with the thrid terminal driving an internal relay to output the 12v flashing. Note these do not change rate based on load (anything up to the relay rating of about 20A). It can be made to work in the minor but it needs some adjustment to the wiring.
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
Chris Edgar
Minor Fan

Post by Chris Edgar »

Rob,
thanks for the reply and your comments regarding Lucas & QH as compared with the "others"...all noted.
Goodness knows where the rubbish flasher units were from.

As for the digital flasher unit, think I'll leave it in the box!

Chris
1937 Austin Seven Ruby
wells01
Minor Friendly

Post by wells01 »

Chris Edgar wrote:Rob,
As for the digital flasher unit, think I'll leave it in the box!
I fitted one of these, http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/165 they are a straight replacement + or - earth and no wiring modification.
RUBY 1963
Shropshire

Chris Edgar
Minor Fan

Post by Chris Edgar »

Thanks, Wells01

I'll have a look at that
1937 Austin Seven Ruby