Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pfgiz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Switch or Lights...???

Post by pfgiz »

I've got an issue with my brake lights, they do not come on when I put my foot on the pedal.

They do come on when I take off the connectors and short them together
When I connect a multimetre to the switch and depress the break pedal the resistance drops to near zero, with the 'buzz' from the metre.
I've cleaned the cottectors and replaced the ones on the lead to no affect.

What am I missing here, surely if the lights work and the switch works they should all work together???????

Thanks in advance.

Peter
Peter Gisby.

Alec
Minor Legend

Re: Switch or Lights...???

Post by Alec »

Hello Peter,

as you have a multimeter, (with both wires on the switch), check the voltage at the lamp side (green\purple), it could be that the switch contacts show OK on a multimeter test but they won't carry the current of the lamps? From what you've done, I would say the switch is the likely culprit?

Alec
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Failure mode of the switch is usually such that you have to press the brake pedal very hard to work. Unless it's a modern repro switch, in which case don't expect it to last very long without a relay!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
pfgiz
Minor Addict

Post by pfgiz »

Cheers guys, despite being an original switch it had died. Strange that it appeared to work with the metre.... It's been replaced currently with the one off of my saloon, again an original unit with screw terminals....

If the re-pro ones are bad any sugestions where I can get a good replacement...????

Thanks again....
Peter Gisby.