Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

L.E.D in the number plate light

Post by ben_minor_63 »

Hi All, i am restoring a 1963 Morris Minor and I am thinking in putting L.E.D in the Number plate light but i am not sure if i have to modify the wiring or anything in the light fixings, can you just put one just sraight in. Can any one help me?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: L.E.D in the number plate light

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes you can just fit the correct led lamp - but why?????????? Of course - they are polarity conscious - so the car will need to be -ve earth.
ImageImage
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

I can understand why you'd be considering LEDs as these bulbs don't seem to last as long as others. As Roy says, you'd need the car to be -ve earth to fit a direct replacement LED but I expect you'd have trouble finding one as they don't seem to be a very common size. Let us know if you do find one though.

If you want to fit a different LED then you'd need to modify the light fitting and you're probably on your own there - you could even solder one in directly as it should never need replacing but make sure it's designed for 12V (an LED needs a series resistor).
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You can get these small sidelamp LEDs easily enough (all the way from HongKong!) - I've converted some of my Railway Bardic lamps to LED using these bulbs and a 14 volt battery pack!
ImageImage
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

bmcecosse wrote:You can get these small sidelamp LEDs easily enough (all the way from HongKong!) ..
Care to post a link?

How does the brightness compare with the filament bulb - similar / bit brighter / OTT ?
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Try searching for Aceparts on Ebay. I fitted LED side lights at the front as I got fedup with bulbs blowing/rusting in.
Fit 'em and forget 'em :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Many on ebay - I just picked the least expensive since I felt I would never see them and it was just money down the drain.....but after a couple of weeks they did turn up! 4 tiny LEDs arranged inside the glass bulb. They don't provide the 'searchlight' /torch beam brightness my halogen bulbed Bardics , but they do provide very adequate night-time illumination of the coloured warnings with MUCH extended battery life, which is what i was after from these lamps. I guess they will be ok as number plate lamps, but hardly in keeping with the age of the vehicle......
ImageImage
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

I've used this guy many times always good value and got everything ordered (but may take some time)

http://stores.ebay.com/warden-jp2002?_rdc=1

NB: go for the 'warm white' to get a better replacement for bulbs, the other white LEDs can look a little blue and I was ticked off by mr MOT for the wrong colour bulbs and 'showing the wrong colour' but the next year he did not even notice with warm white bulbs
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

The car will be negative earth. and i only want to do it as i dont want to be replacing the bulbs all the time. What size bulb is it?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why would you need to 'replace the bulbs all the time'?? I don't think I have ever had to replace the number plate bulbs on my Trav in the last 10 years or so.......
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

bmcecosse wrote: I don't think I have ever had to replace the number plate bulbs on my Trav in the last 10 years or so.......
Thats because it stays in the garage from the end of October until the end of March so the bulbs don't get much use :wink: :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Correct! Don't want it getting wet or anything like that....... Even so -they really are not high replacement items. :D
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Getting technical...

A filament sidelight bulb gives off a very wide beam angle (i.e. the light goes everywhere).
An LED bulb will have a much smaller beam angle (e.g. like a torch the light goes out in a 'spot' pattern).
Therefore a numberplate light is NOT a good application for an LED light.

You can get LED clusters for things like sidelights and stop/tail lights and these are fine, and you want the light mainly in one direction.

For indicators, LED clusters can cause problems as the old style flasher units rely on the correct current flow from 20W filament bulbs. Therefore LED clusters draw much less current and the flash rate will either be wrong or not work.

I've used LED clusters for sidelights and red stop/tail (e.g. when using clear or wrong-coloured rear light lenses) and got them from ebay as I couldn't get what I needed from a shop.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

So what exactly is the size of the sidelights? How can I search for one on ebay/google etc? Obviously headlights have types ie H1 etc but what size should I search the sidelights??

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Stephen, I think the 5W sidelight bulbs are 233. For the rear, search for "stop/tail"

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Slightly ot but I've just ordered an LED bulb for the courtesy light. Why? Because I've noticed that the heat from the usual bulb turns the white plastic yellow and brittle. I found a pristine courtesy light cover on Ebay and want it to stay that way
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Good idea DP.
I did the same on my MG for the interior and boot lights, simply because when I was working on it (regular occurence) the lights could be on for hours and LEDs don't drain the battery as quick.