Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

How to Know - over heat Engine of MM 1000

Post by Sandun »

Can you tell me when we going a long trip - how to know the engine want a rest ( now engine over heat we must stop )- what is the indicator to it ?

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: How to Know - over heat Engine of MM 1000

Post by MarkyB »

The engine should never overheat in the normal course of events, certainly not when you are moving anyway.
If stuck in traffic it may get very hot under the bonnet and start to miss fire.
If you stop the engine it will get hotter before it cools down as the cooling system stops working with the engine off.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

However If over heat engine , have to stop the engine and wait for cool

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

In very hot regions, it has been known for an extra fan blade to be added to the engine giving plenty of cooling even when standing. In most European areas this is not necessary and leads to over cooling but, if the climate is very hot, it's a cheap and easy fix if it is something you are worried about. In use, and no matter how long the journey, if the engine is well maintained, it will not overheat with normal use. If the engine is overheating - you have a problem somewhere. :D

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Make sure that the radiator is nearly full before starting and carry a container of water. When you lift the bonnet and the engine is too hot you will smell it. In hot climates it may be better to take the thermostat out.
If you are worried about the engine getting too hot then fit a temperature gauge.
[sig]3580[/sig]
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

If you think the engine is overheating then turn the heater on as well as the fan that blows the hot air out of the heater.
That should cool the engine down. If it gets too hot in the car then open the windows.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I think "fit a temperature gauge" is the best advice if you are worried about it.
Sandun is in India so turning on the heater may be unpopular with any passengers :D .
I sometimes turn the heater on for a short time as a crude temperature gauge but I have owned a Minor where I couldn't keep my hand in the hot air from the heater yet it never missed a beat.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

"If you think the engine is overheating then turn the heater on as well as the fan that blows the hot air out of the heater. " - Not wont the heater to my country ( at 12 noon - heat 23c in my country )- and when the car import from UK to my country, has removed the heater _

I went a 10 km on my Morris minor car - after I opened the bonnet - it was wary hot can not touch any parts- and some dropping water off low hose - but not miss and stop car - I do not know it is normal or not - I afraid to go long journey -advice me -what is the overheating ? what happen when it overheat ? how to know ,the car has a problem or not ?

Other hand , I do not Know How to wired TEMP meeter to Morris Minor 1000

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Don't worry too much Sandun! the engine will be hot when used, that is completely normal and especially in the exhaust area. Some water leakage may happen but most owners will carry a litre of water to top up if needed. The water you can see coming out may just be the excess coolant from topping up. You need to leave some room in the radiator for the water to expand when it gets hot.

Do a journey of about 50k, carry water with you in case of emergency and check the water level at the END of the journey. This will then be the normal level. Drive another 50k and see if the water level has changed at all. It should be pretty much the same. If it has dropped significantly, it indicates a leak may be there. Good luck.

Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

How I know the thermostat work fine ? what happen if thermostat bad ? what are the significations

Chris Edgar
Minor Fan

Post by Chris Edgar »

If the thermostat fails, the result is that the water will only circulate around the engine, not through the radiator.
Therefore no cooling effect.
If that happens, the engine will overheat VERY rapidly , often accompanied by a "banging " noise and, if not stopped, will seize.

Happened to me many years ago, although I stopped before the engine seized...roadside cure was to remove thermostat, re -fill water & carry on. Not recommended though.

So, you would soon know if the thermostat fails!
1958 4 door Morris Minor birch grey
1937 Austin Seven Ruby
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

If you want to check if it works - take out the thermostat, thread some wire through the top and suspend in a pan of warm water, then bring water to the boil. As the water reaches the temp that the 'stat opens, you should see it working normally. If it doesn't move when the water is boiling - replace it with a new one. :D

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It's an easy job to fit a Smiths temp gauge to a 1098 engine as it should have a blanking screw in the head for the sender take-off. It's a different matter for the 803 though - ask me about it.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

I used a thermostat cover with a threaded outlet for the gauge sender/sensor - worked a treat - and you knew when the 'stat had opened too! It wasn't quite like this one but you get the idea. Mine looked flatter - like the original item.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-MORRIS ... 23127636e1

:wink:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As hinted above - either fit another fan blade at right angles to the one you have - or fit the multi blade fan from an MG Midget or even a Marina. This will increase the air flow through the radiator and will help the cooling considerably.
Fan item 30 or 35 in this from MOSS http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... dexID=7773
Note that a Mini fan WILL NOT DO (just in case they are available in SL). Or of course - you could fit an electric fan perhaps gleaned from a 'modern' car in a local scrap yard??
ImageImage