Warm wiring upgraded headlights, new loom!

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
heathy12
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Warm wiring upgraded headlights, new loom!

Post by heathy12 »

Just installed a new loom.

Had it checked out and all okay. However. Working on the car the other evening put the lights on to check brake lights were working and the red lines were extremely warm to the point where some smoke had come off them.

Now im sure ive made a school boy error somewhere in wiring up but cant for the life of me see it. I know im gettin too much current through a wire thats not rated highly enough. The ONLY modification to the car is a new Battery and upgraded H4 sealed bea, lights. Now Im thinking I may need to run new wires of a higher rating out to the headlight loom to cope with the increase of flow.....

Anyone confirm this or want to point out the obvious point/area ive missed!!
JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Warm wiring upgraded headlights, new loom!

Post by bmcecosse »

The RED wire is the sidelight circuit - so yes it's designed to only handle tiny sidelight amps. If you have it connected to carry headlight amps........well!! Possible the rear brake lights are wired wrong way round? - so the sidelight circuit is carrying the brake light current which is 5 X the sidelight current ??
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Warm wiring upgraded headlights, new loom!

Post by mike.perry »

The only lights that the red wires should be working are the side and tail and sundry panel lights, all low wattage. I would suggest that if the red wires are getting hot then you have a short circuit or it is incorrectly wired. Later cars have a 10A inline fuse to protect the side light circuit.
Why do you put the lights on to check the brake lights? Turn on the ignition and press the brake pedal
[sig]3580[/sig]