Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rsawatson
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Distributor - new or reconditioned?

Post by rsawatson »

I'm after a new distributor as the one currently fitted to my car is worn out and is beginning to cause problems.

I've had a look around at various suppliers' websites and it appears as though Lucas still manufactures the 25D4 distributor. However, I notice that some suppliers sell reconditioned ones too.

Which should I go for? The main reason I ask is because I am somewhat doubtful of newly manufactured parts as they often seem to be low quality and prone to failure... I was therefore wondering whether anyone else has fitted a newly manufactured distributor and can vouch for their reliability, in which case I shall probably buy one.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan Watson

lambrettalad
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Distributor - new or reconditioned?

Post by lambrettalad »

I got mine from accuspark ,no problems over the last two years, very good company
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

I got a replacement unit from SimonBBC but suspect that it is the same as Lambrettas. Good piece of kit, the only fault I can see is the advance/retard adjustment is loose, I just screwed it right up to take the slack and adjusted the dizzy by hand.
It is well worth the money, especially when you get a free red rotor arm/dizzy cap/internals for under £30 posted :D
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The drive dog on the end of the shaft is replaceable
[sig]3580[/sig]
rsawatson
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by rsawatson »

Thanks for your advice. I'm certainly better placed to make a decision now.

What seems to be the main problem is excessive play in distributor camshaft - the rotor arm is striking the terminals on the cap and the excessive play seems to be causing a misfire which is noticeable only at low speeds. All other avenues I can think of explored; I've done a compression test, renewed the plugs, leads, points and consdenser and still no improvement so I'm assuming the worn distributor is the root of the problem.
Ryan Watson

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't waste time/money on a 'reconditioned' one. The Simonbbc and accuspark units seem to get good reports -and come complete with a new vacuum unit. I suggest a 45D non-electronic unit......
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

spot on except for the non electronic ,if you want condensers breaking down and points closing and pitting etc keep it standard
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Not a problem I have had in Minor/Mini ownership! Good original parts and occassional adjustment of the gap is all it takes...... But by all means pay the extra - but they don't get so many good reports - quite a few on Mini forums have had problems......
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

ive got accuspark not had any problems at all
[sig]5641[/sig]
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Equally I've used a SimonBBC (same as accuspark) 25D non electric that has all new parts and - it works :D