Am I being thick ?

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Am I being thick ?

Post by simmitc »

As you reported that there was no spark from the HT lead from the coil, it won't be the cap or arm (although they might have separate faults), so concentrate on getting that spark going. did you ascertain whether it was +ve or -ve earth?
ABarata
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by ABarata »

Had my mechanic friend having a look and he thinks its positive earth , due to terminals , age of car and dynamo instead of alternator , we have power at the coil , the lead that comes of the coil is damage and there's no power getting to the distributor . So we are replacing the lot to make sure it's going to be right. After I manage to get engine running , will get engine and gearbox off and start doing bodywork .
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Good luck!
Its the bodywork thats the hard part.
Electrical and mechanical parts can be simply swapped in/out but bodywork... grrr... fingers crossed you dont end up chasing rot with your welder.
What would Macgyver do..?
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

With power to the coil, you can check the coil by connecting the other coil Low Tension lead intermittently to ground. If the coil is good,you will get a spark between the coil High Tension lead and ground when set up like an earlier test.
If the coil is good, then the problem lies downstream.
Look for continuity in the low tension wire from coil to distributor.
Do the points open at all?
Open the points and slip some paper between them to insulate them. Then, with a screwdriver, short out the points you have just insulated. This should result in a spark at the HT lead and ground as above.
If still no spark, disconnect the condenser and repeat the test.
If these tests show a spark, but you still have no spark at the plugs, then look at the rotor, cap and plug leads.
Begging your indulgence, where you see "ground," read: "earth."
ABarata
Minor Friendly

Post by ABarata »

Have new points, condenser , plugs, distribuitor cap , fitted ... And manage to get a spark at the plugs!!! :) now just need to get the engine to start :( , there's fuel getting to the plugs , but manage to flatten the battery before could get it started
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just get the spark to be at the right plug at the right time....... Make sure leads are 1342 anti-clockwise round the dizzy cap. If not sure which is #1 - move the leads all round one place at a time to see if it starts. There is another thread nearby full of handy tips to get the spark timing near enough for a start.....
ImageImage
ABarata
Minor Friendly

Post by ABarata »

Yes we have that right , we checked as well each spark to make sure there's a spark in each one , all looks right ...When we took spark plug out could smell fuel , so there's fuel getting to the plugs , but Could it be that there's not enough oil in carb and not opening carb needle enough not allowing the right amout of fuel ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No - the spark is just not happening at the right time and place. Move the leads round.....
ImageImage
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Hi - we have 2 MMOC branches in Wiltshire. Why don't you give them a ring? Someone may live near enough to come and help you. :D

West Wilts Contact Bob Noutch (Trowbridge) 01two25 7five2347
North Wilts David Waters (Wroughton) 0one793 8one3309

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
ABarata
Minor Friendly

Post by ABarata »