Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
M25VAN
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Making ignition leads

Post by M25VAN »

I have two spark plug caps that have badly rusted connectors and I want to replace them with a new set of leads as I am starting to get misfires. If I make them up what will I need? Suppressed cable and unsuppressed caps or unsuppressed leads and suppressed caps? Is standard copper ignition cable OK or go for the silicone carbon core type of cable. I have electronic ignition and will use a screw in side entry cap and screw on plug caps as I don't have the correct crimping tool.
Thanks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Making ignition leads

Post by bmcecosse »

Go with wire core HT cable - it's MUCH better. Suppressed caps if you will - but modern equipment is so well protected these days, I doubt it's necessary. beware the resistance cable + resistance caps + resistant plugs = non start....... :roll:
ImageImage
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Thanks BMC, I had a feeling you may have said 'use standard stuff' :D . I'll get some bits ordered in.
catswhisker
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by catswhisker »

Yes,copper core cable IS much better than carbon string stuff.
I made up a new set to go with the nice Champion plug caps I had aquired.
Couldn't believe the difference, better starting ,smoother running,very good.
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Yes, I swapped out two leads that had rusted connections and everything was smoother as expected but even more so up hill etc. Always had a problem with the clips onto the plugs becoming loose and the screw connector on the plug likewise. Caps that I've bought I think fit onto the plug threaded top so will hopefully be better....
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

+1 for copper HT leads. They last forever, whereas the silicone breaks down over time. I still have a 30-odd year old set of Champion leads, with Ripaults Suppression cable (sadly now defunct) giving excellent service.
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

+1 for copper leads from me too. :D No more bites from the leads when I go near them. They also sit better as the silicone ones were very floppy and tended to rest and rub against things. I also have some spare lead now and can make/repair a spare lead or two if required.