Which brand for electronic Ignition

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!
MMOC Member: No

Re: Which brand for electronic Ignition

Post by chesney »

Perhaps a simple relay to the coil live?
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

kennatt wrote:I once read an article where someone had routed the ignition via the oil pressure switch,thereby preventing the start up untill the light went out,don't quite understand how it was wired but he claimed that it stopped the dredded death rattle on start up.
If, instead a hidden security switch was fitted somewhere which cut power to the coil, you could stop the engine catching until the oil light went out. And have another thing to make a thief's life a bit more difficult.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by biomed32uk »

Likewise with Accuspark, just fitted that to mine and very happy with it, along with the high energy coil and red rotor arm.

Took it as a good opportunity to whiz the dizzy out and give it a good service as well.
kiwialan

Post by kiwialan »

I have installed a full ECU as well as two fuel injectors! I now have a very sizeable increase in power, economy and revs..
I modified the existing inlet manifold by adding a boss to the corners opposite the inlet port in the head. Installed two second hand Nissan injectors, a T piece rubber fuel rail, small high pressure pump and swirl pot.
I removed three lobes from the cam in the distributor, no need for points or ignition advance now, The single remaining lobe is just a trigger for the ECU so it knows where TDC on 1 is.
So thats all gone as well as the coil. I replaced the coil with a wasted spark set from the Nissan again. Much more spark and runs better plugs.
It all took a couple of days and the results have even surprised the local ECU tuners.
I also removed the bottom of the inlet manifold where it connects to the exhaust so that we get cool fuel. we don't want heated air with injection.

I previously modified the same car with a single injector into the top of the carburettor and it performed very well, i just wanted more control over the fuel in cold wether. So the quick easy injector install if directly down into the carb.

The ECU was a LINK Atom, any pump and any injectors will do it.. same for the wasted spark coils but to be frank you can use your existing coil.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Excellent! What a great way forward - can we have more pictures/details please??? No 'trigger wheel' on the crank pulley? You just set the timing from the single lobe on the dizzy??
ImageImage
kiwialan

Post by kiwialan »

Opps yes there is a trigger wheel. Blimey I just forgot it as it wasn't much a problem to install, it happened to simply slide onto the front pulley, exactly the same diameter as the shaft and I tack welded it to the belt pulley.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Excellent! More details and pictures please! And a parts list so we can start shopping?? :D
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

And there I was thinking you were a dyed-in-the-wool, stick-in-the-mud points and condensor man, Roy. :o
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Took me aback as well!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I would have the 'Megajolt' or similar mapable ignition system - IF it was straightforward to install. Most reports I have read involve scouring scrap yards for parts - and an intimate knowledge of electronics.......something I don't have.......
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I know what you mean. I owned a BMW E30 325i that had a Megasquirt system fitted by its previous owner, and it's quite arduous trying to make sense of the mapping.

Fortunately, it had an 'Autotune' facility, where it could automatically create a reasonable enough map simply by driving it, but it never felt quite right (rather flat in the lower part of the rev range), and would probably have run better on its original Motronic system.

I think, tbh, you really need to set them up properly on a rolling road/dyno - attempting to remap them yourself is beset with difficulties unless you really know what you're doing.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's more the assembling/soldering all the parts that would defeat me..... Electronics and me are not a good mix....... :roll: But Mini lads who have Megajolt report much better driveability of modified engines with long cams.
ImageImage