Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
George Smathers
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

wiring fuel gauge

Post by George Smathers »

I have a question on wiring my fuel gauge. I've put in a new wiring loom to my black 1967 (1408) speedometer. I'm having trouble getting the fuel gauge to read. Am I correct in thinking that A = green/black wire from fuel sender to fuel gauge, B = 10V power from the voltage regulator to fuel gauge, C = 12 volt power? When I wire it this way the gauge reads empty. The tank is about 3/4 full.

Do I need a ground too? I assume when I attach the speedometer case to the car I will ground it. To test this I hooked up all the wires and then I ground the speedometer case. The fuel gauge read full.

Thanks,

George[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
blues2rock
Minor Friendly

Re: wiring fuel gauge

Post by blues2rock »

It looks to me like you have connected the 12 volt supply straight to the gauge. The 'bunch' of green wires should be the 12 volt supply and it is the terminal you describe as 'C' that should go to the gauge. However it is important to check the markings on the regulator in case the green wires have been fitted to the regulator incorrectly.
Mr Angry from Maldon
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

George
Blues2rocks identifies the potential problem.

Answer in order of "your assumptions " :-
A =green/ black wire from Fuel Sender to Fuel Gauge
correct , according to wiring diagram.

B = 10v power from the voltage regulator to fuel gauge.

It correctly should be called a Voltage stabiliser.It should be a light green wire coming from the " I " terminal on the Voltage Stabiliser.From the angle of the photo, I can't see that anything is connected to the " I " terminal ??
The " I " terminal delivers 10 volts to the gauge.

C = 12 volts power
Correct.The " B" ( battery )terminal on the stabiliser is the switched ignition 12 volts supply.

So it is the wire from C connection, from the "B " terminal going to the B connection that is incorrect.You will need a short light green wire, with a male connector one end and a ring terminal on the other, suitably insulated.
The path to earth , as per the wiring diagram, is from the sender gauge, black wire to body.

Did you test ...removed from the fuel tank, the sender unit with a multimeter set to Ohms that the resistance ( Ohms setting ) was variable as you moved the float arm through it's travel ? Take the usual safety precautions if you haven't done this yet i.e battery disconnected before you start, no other sources of ignition nearby, tape up the petrol tank opening and plenty of outdoor fresh air.
Good luck with it.
Bob
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Post by George Smathers »

Thanks Blues and Bob! I'll give it a go.

George