Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear heated window (Traveller)

Post by dudload »

resurrecting this thread slightly. I've been contemplating putting in some heated rears on my mog, but last year when I was replacing the sealant on the windows, I was stumped at how the glass can be removed. I removed all of the fillets on left, right and bottom pieces, but the top piece of wood appeared to be solid with no screw to remove. was I being an idiot and you're just meant to pull the glass down to remove?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The top piece has a slot cut into it to retain the glass. The glasses are simply slid up into that slot from beneath and the 3 fillets retain it in position. As you say, the glass has to be sealed all the way round :wink:
It was probably just old sealer which was holding the glass in position.
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

thanks!
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Going back to the earlier part of this thread, and whether to use a relay or not, is the current draw of ~6A for the Traveller rear heated screen for each screen, or for both screens in total? With a total of 6A you could probably get away with a switch, but I would not, and if it is 6A per each screen, i.e. a total of 12A, then both a relay AND suitable size cables are definitely needed. For 12A the cable should be 28/0.012 (imperial), 28/0.30 (metric) or a minimum of 1.50 sq mm if using the cross-sectional area measurement.
Richard

Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

I fitted heated rear screens to both rear doors on my traveller, and a heated windscreen. Used an illuminated centre off two way with via relays so that both front and rear couldn't be on at the same time and put too much strain on the electrics 9charging etc) front screen only needs to be on for a short time anyway to defrost etc.

I would definitely use relays...