Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mattinhertford
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

What to 'sheath' wiring with?

Post by mattinhertford »

Hi all,

I was pottering this afternoon and cleaned up some of the wiring in the boot (it was part coated in underbody sealer that the previous owner use in the boot :roll:

I had to remove the original material sheathing as it was fraying and all mucky. What should i use to keep the wires together, any products out there i should be looking at....or is it just a case of a wrap of electical tape every 10 cms or something?

Thanks

Matt[frame]Image[/frame]
Morris no.1 - a "learning new skills" project

Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What to 'sheath' wiring with?

Post by Boomlander »

Heat shrink tubing would be the answer - comes in all colours and sizes or you could use flexible plastic corrugated conduit :D

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You can buy electrical pvc sleeving here---Vehicle wiring products, 0115 9305454. next day delivery. Tell them how many wires you want to pass through, and go for the next size up. It's a few pence a metre, and they'll send you a catalogue, very useful if you need electrical stuff.

tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Or buy self amalgamating tape.About £6 a reel.Basically wrap the wiring overlapping as you go just as you would with PVC tape.Over time the whole lot fuses together,looks good too.
Mick
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

PVC sleeve from Vehicle Wiring Products is probably the best way to go and looks more original. They are a good company to deal with too.

Insulating tape eventually turns into a sticky mess and isn't pleasant when doing repairs a few years down the line. Self amalgamating tape is better.

Heat shrink is the professional way to go and has the bonus of being fire/heat proof if you use the right type, DR-25 or Viton. Although the insulation of the PVC wires inside would melt!
Glad to be back!
mattinhertford
Minor Fan

Post by mattinhertford »

All good tips, thanks guys.

Matt
Morris no.1 - a "learning new skills" project

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I have done my wiring loom with the spilt convoluted sleeving from 12volt planet, its certainly not original looking, not worried about that but it looks tidy and offers good protection.

One day I may fit a new loom, nothing wrong with it other than the cotton has seen better days, the wiring is fine.
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

If it's any help I have used a fabric insulating tape which has an almost identical appearance to the original. This stuff was used by Citroen to bind looms and in the process of Restoration I have used quite a bit. It is so tough you have to cut it with scissors but it makes a nice tight, neat job.
Available on ebay under the Manufacturer TESA pet fleece tape item 271470870301 £2.70 with post.
[sig]6530[/sig]
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

What a strange name for it.Looks good stuff so I bought a couple.He says hes only got 6 left.
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

There are some details on the TESA website....
http://www.tesa.co.uk/industry/automoti ... harnessing

Self amalgamating tape is very good but aren't there issues with it's abrasion resistance?
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Just to say that pet fleece stuff is superb!Just wrapped some wiring in the Wolseley front loom.Looks very period,very easy to use.Well worth buying.
delwin
Minor Friendly

Post by delwin »

Drop into your local scrap yard and remove the plastic sheathing tube that is on modern tin boxes and then use electrical tape to seal off ends or if you have it use heat shrink on the ends...
Dave
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

OK but doesnt look very period.