Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bidz
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Fog Light Logic

Post by Bidz »

I was gifted a pair of fog lights by a friend last year. They're currently wired to their own discrete circuit, which takes power straight from a fuse.

What is the condition in which they should be able to be turned on? My assumption would be with dipped beam - so the feed for the lights should come from the dipped beam circuit, so the fog light switch and circuit receives no power when high beam is selected?

Thanks in advance
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Fog Light Logic

Post by bmcecosse »

The whole point of so-called 'fog' lights is that they are aimed low, and have a very flat beam that doesn't reflect back in the fog.... So having them on with headlamps completely defeats the purpose.... They can only be used in Fog or Falling Snow.... Since we get very little fog these days (compared to the good old SMOG days) they will see little use....... Polish them up and keep them in a display cabinet......
ImageImage
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

bmcecosse wrote:The whole point of so-called 'fog' lights is that they are aimed low, and have a very flat beam that doesn't reflect back in the fog.... So having them on with headlamps completely defeats the purpose.... They can only be used in Fog or Falling Snow.... Since we get very little fog these days (compared to the good old SMOG days) they will see little use....... Polish them up and keep them in a display cabinet......
So with pilot lights then, BMC? Thanks :D
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

With modern headlights with their sharp cut off beam pattern there is no need for fog lights. I have a pair of fog lights on my Series MM which are wired to the main beam circuit and give a better spread of light when night driving on rural roads
[sig]3580[/sig]
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

mike.perry wrote:I have a pair of fog lights on my Series MM which are wired to the main beam circuit and give a better spread of light when night driving on rural roads
If this is legal, it is what I shall do. I quite like the look of them.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

FOG lights are mounted low, and should extinguish when main beam is selected. DRIVING lamps are higher, and should be extinguished when dip beam is selected. There are precise rules about distance from side of vehicle, height from ground, and beam patterns. None of these lamps is required, but if fitted, must operate correctly. Of course, how important the distinction is depends upon the view taken by your MOT tester, and any Traffic Officer who may inspect the vehicle. Most will just smile...
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

My fog lights are set for maximum spread of light and are wired to operate on main beam.
[sig]3580[/sig]
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Also don't forget that your foglights should turn on automatically if a headlight bulb blows... ;)
Glad to be back!