Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
vee12jag
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Which Battery?

Post by vee12jag »

Hi, I'm in the final stages (hopefully) of restoring my Series 2 with the original 803 etc and positive earth.
I need a new battery and would like to use an original looking unit as opposed to a maintenance free or a cheap Halford's battery which I currently have which doesn't fit properly or look correct.
I've looked on the internet and talked to people like Lincoln batteries but am confused as to which battery to go with not only for originality sake but I'm concerned that I should not put too many cranking amps through the system (maybe I don't need to worry about that??)
I would really appreciate any advise on the correct battery type/size/make to buy.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Which Battery?

Post by SteveClem »

I think that an 038 battery is probably 'correct ',but folk seem to use all sort of things without any problem. Since you are positive earth and want it to look original its perhaps more important to get one with the terminals correctly orientated.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Ive also used 038 batteries, and to try and make it look more peroid have removed the sticker and put a Lucas sticker on instead!

check this out!

http://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/p ... -No11.html

Too many Minors so little time.....
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

You don't need to worry about the cranking amps. As long as you have a healthy 12 volt battery the current will be determined by the draw of the starter motor circuit, not put out by the battery. The Minor is blessed with a large tray and modest needs so you can run with almost any battery. I have known Minors run with borrowed batteries from vehicles as diverse as a diesel Land Rover and a Harley motorbike.
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I did as David, sorry for the image quality but in person it looks better.[frame]Image[/frame]For even more originality antique style batteries are available from Lincon Batteries as well as other manufacturers; they are, however, very expensive.
http://www.lincon.co.uk/classic_car_batteries.html
Gabriel
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I suspect that black cable will chaff on the holding bar - and explode the battery one day.
ImageImage
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I see what you mean; it's an old picture so I might have moved it since then. The battery is quite small though, but thanks for pointing it out as it's not that obvious when the bonnet is open.

Reminds me also of my dad's Triumph, the bonnet is apparently designed to push the choke cable right into the positive terminal on the battery. Managed to catch it before the fireworks thankfully.
Gabriel