switch issues

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
810xuf
MMOC Member: No

switch issues

Post by 810xuf »

Good evening fellow members. can someone please assist me I have attached a photo that shows some switches the black pull switch with a white centre I have traced a brown wire under the floor and up into the boot area but it has been cut ? what is it for ??? the centre switch with LR on it is wired to the fuel pump , and when I pull it out I can here it engaging the pump in the engine bay , the other flick switch I cant seem to see where it goes or what it is for ? can anyone assist, thanks to another member I now have got all my lights working (brilliant) however the high beam light on the speedo does not light up , I have removed the dial from the dash but there is no bulb that I can see to replace > any ideas gratefully appreciated .
regards
Barry
panky
Minor Legend

Re: switch issues

Post by panky »

It sounds like a 'secret' cut out for the pump, switch it off and the car wont get very far if someone 'borrowed it' The other one sounds like it was once connected to a rear fog light or maybe reversing light.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There should be a bulb unit behind the main beam warning light. There is a thin blue/white wire which connects to the thicker blue/white wire between the dip switch and the headlamp
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The headlamp main beam warning is required for MOT. Is there a space on the speedo for it? Someone may have 'borrowed' the lamp holder.... :roll:
ImageImage
810xuf

Post by 810xuf »

hello thanks for the reply , there is a small wire that goes into the back of the speedo where the main beam light (bulb) is but it cant be accessed, I think the best thing I can do is send a picture of the unit as its hard to explain,
thanks
Barry
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Is it a blue/white wire? Should go to a simple bulb holder that plugs into the speedo - at the top...
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Have you tried pulling those bulb holders out, I think I wore my fingers out doing that as my lights weren't working- turned out to be speedo unit not earthing properly !!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Unlikley since it's held with two screws on steel brackets each side. Hard to imagine it not earthing...
ImageImage
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

The speedo cable generally acts as an earth in any case.
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Which is why my speedo cable shorted somehow against the bodywork !!

Speedo earthing, I suppose I was testing with the speedo unit out/ pushed in not screwed ( though I painted fully the internal mounting lugs.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I seem to remember there is an earth tag on the speedo anyway. Something wrong if it 'shorted' -it should never be live !
ImageImage