Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MacQuigley
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Starter Solenoid and Coil Position

Post by MacQuigley »

Im back at my on off on off 2 door restoration and Im trying to get the engine up and running but Ive a couple of questions.

1. for the life of me I cant recall where the starter solenoid should be fitted inside the engine bay. None of the holes line up with the bracket on the solenoid and as a result Im second guessing myself where it goes. Id rather not drill the panels if I can help it but if that's the only solution so be it.

2. Ive also just done an alternator conversion but Im not sure the best place to mount the coil. I cant use the bracket that was originally on the generator as its to small for the alternator. Anyone any suggestions?

Kind regards Bill
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Starter Solenoid and Coil Position

Post by mogbob »

Bill
There are a number options open to you. The easiest way to decide , is to do a Google image search for " Morris Minor engine bay " and " Morris Minor starter solenoid ". You'll see most of the common options / alternatives.
A great number of people believe that keeping the coil away from the heat of the engine is a good thing.
As always with these things...it's your car and therefore your decision / preference.
All the best
Bob
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by andy.pointeer »

Hi the first picture below is of my 66 Traveller and you can see the solenoid position. When I fitted my alternator I mounted the coil on the holes in the wing were the washer bottle was originally.

The coil has since moved as shown in second picture to provide space for the installation of a servo

[frame]Image[/frame]
.[frame]Image[/frame]
Hope this helps
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Thanks Andy.

Think I will try something like your second position for the coil.

As for the solenoid, I was sure that's where it was mounted but there are no holes there and although I rebuild the engine bay I don't recall doing anything there. There are 2 holes on the dash that match the mount on the solenoid but if I use them one of the two main posts is far to close to the bulkhead and even though its painted and theoretically insulated I don't think its a good position. I'll go with something similar to your arrangement.

Wish Id not left it so long to do the electrics. Its proving a challenge to remember where everything goes and I was an electrician to trade once - still work in the industry.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Keep the coil WELL away from the alternator - and away from the engine heat and vibration. Inner wing is ideal - mount it vertically up to ensure the windings are well covered with oil and reduce chance of leakage. The solenoid goes on a simple straight line from battery +_ve to starter -keep the leads as short as possible. And make sure the solenoid is well earthed or it won't work...... :(
ImageImage
SriVik
Minor Friendly

Post by SriVik »

bmcecosse wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:44 pm Keep the coil WELL away from the alternator - and away from the engine heat and vibration. Inner wing is ideal - mount it vertically up to ensure the windings are well covered with oil and reduce chance of leakage. The solenoid goes on a simple straight line from battery +_ve to starter -keep the leads as short as possible. And make sure the solenoid is well earthed or it won't work...... :(

Where is the best position to fix COIL with original LOOM connectors.??

Vertical means wires at bottom??? Or opposite

Thanks
alawrence10360
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by alawrence10360 »

I’ve just replaced my solenoid this morning with the Lucas button type
My coil is upside down which I’ve some people have a problem with however the electrons haven’t fallen out of it yet.
PS
Note to self: when operating the button type solenoid from the engine bay always ensure you are in neutral ...
Attachments
372CC80D-C31F-4DCA-8726-5A85F69EBCA7.jpeg
372CC80D-C31F-4DCA-8726-5A85F69EBCA7.jpeg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 838 times