Indicator (probably flasher relay, but open to suggestions)

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Indicator (probably flasher relay, but open to suggestions)

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Hi folks,

(Yes, I'm still alive, and still driving Rebecca).

So about a year and a half ago I fitted a new indicator stalk as the original one became unservicable (istr some plastic internal snapped). Ever since the new stalk was fitted occasionally the bulb on the end of the stalk would appear not to work at all, but the indicators would still flash (it turns out).

It was really uncommon, so I never got around to chasing down the fault... And usually flicking the indicators off and back on would 'cure' it.

But since she spent a long period off the road* that problem has rapidly gone from infrequent to continuous. It turns out (I discovered this morning) that actually, the bulb on the end of the stalk is just glowing very, very dimly - and dims/brightens in sync with the flashers. In daylight I can't see it at all.

Unfortunately, it's been *pouring* with rain almost every day here, so I haven't been able to have a good look under the bonnet. I'm suspecting it's the flasher relay - but if anyone has any other suggestions for places to look when I get a few minutes of dryness** and before I end up replacing my flasher relay unnecessarily. Incidentally, if anyone has recommendations for an LED compatible relay, that'd be great.

* Ate her diff, then ate her gearbox. Lesson: No, a standard box and 3.9 diff aren't ideal mates for a 1300 ital/fast road cam. Even if you think you're being gentle.
** Although at the moment stopping the leak from where the windscreen wiper spindle passes through, and from around the 1000 logo on the boot are more priorities.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Re: Indicator (probably flasher relay, but open to suggestions)

Post by The vast minority »

Won't be the flasher relay if the indicators are working.
Take the bulb out first and clean contacts them make sure it's all back together properly. Do this before next step of checking wiring for any break or poor connection.

Al
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The vast minority wrote:Won't be the flasher relay if the indicators are working.Al
It was on my car :wink:
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Well, I'm happy to be wrong, especially as it makes for an easy fix.
I wonder how this can be.............
Al
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I've seen this symptom caused by a faulty flasher can. Nice simple fix. Also check the earth continuity from the bulb - remove the bulb and use a multimeter to check resistance from holder outer casing to known good earth point on body.
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MikeNash »

Delighted to hear you're still upright and mobile, Kate! When people stop corresponding one wonders, of course, but it's rude to pry.
Hope all's well. Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!