Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rreems
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Cigarette lighter socket

Post by rreems »

Hi I'm thinking of installing a cigarette lighter socket in the glove compartment using wires from the Radio that was there, should I use an inline fuse? If so what fuse should I install
Thanks
Richard
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Re: Cigarette lighter socket

Post by Biggles1957 »

I've fitted one in my glove box for the sat nav etc. I would run separate wire to the battery or main feeds in the engine bay with an in line fuse rather than use the radio supply.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Personally (and it's only me) I'd stick a 5-amp blade fuse in there and if it blew I'd think about a bigger one. Not much load through there unless you're running a kettle or screen heater.

Much better selection and availability with blade (or mini-blade) fuses...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-In-line-M ... SwoudW~PPV

Back of the glovebox is close to the steel bulkhead and below the wiper spindles so take car to keep it all safe from earthing! :D
Cardiff, UK
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I think a fuse is a good idea. The rating of the fuse will be determined by the current requirement of whatever you are intending to plug into the socket.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

We have a lighter socket pointing downwards on the LH side of the passenger glove box. Supplied with a permanent feed from the ammeter and with a 15A fuse (I have a 12v compressor that needs that sort of size fuse). Normally it is used for satnav or mobile phone charging.
Richard

rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate this forum

Happy motoring

Richard
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

If you have a soft top...

[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Definitely fuse it , right at the point of origin - and decide if you want it all the time -or only when the Ignition is ON. Take great care to insulate the wires carefully where they pass through any bulkheads - and is the car polarity -ve earth if you are planning on powering any modern equipment through it?
ImageImage
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Bear in mind that the radio wiring is possibly not rated at 15A like Islip Minor has installed. The fuse is there to protect the 'downstream' wiring from excess current draw.

RAB
NOEL
Minor Friendly

Post by NOEL »

Definitely fit an in line fuse, I did my one with one of these with a 5 amp fuse and wired it up with wire coming through the bulkhead to my new unit , there are enough holes available without drilling a new one, use a grommet to prevent any chaffing, I don`t recommend wiring direct from the battery, I second the point about checking the polarity, personally would not use the already installed wire for the radio