Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ferret76
Minor Fan
Location: MMOC Tropical Research Division Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
MMOC Member: No

Complete loss of spark.

Post by ferret76 »

Decelerating to a stop at a roundabout the engine suddenly lost power and then stopped. Unable to restart. So far I have changed the condenser and rotor arm, I have changed the coil and changed it back with nil result. From what I can see I am getting no spark out of either coil which makes me think there is nothing getting to the coil. What to check from here? Any suggestions welcome.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Complete loss of spark.

Post by mogbob »

First clean up your battery terminals and ensure the main cables are securely clamped. With a multi meter check what voltage you have across the main terminals, record the reading. With the ignition "on "( only for a short time ) do you get
the same voltage at the feed to the coil ? Switch off the ignition.
Is the earth lead in the distributor sound ? The wire is small and not very robust so subject after many years to giving up the challenge.
Bob
ferret76
Minor Fan

Post by ferret76 »

12.30 across battery, 11.30 at coil. Earth in distributor is sound.
ferret76
Minor Fan

Post by ferret76 »

Also can someone clarify which terminal of the coil connects to the distributor. Car is pos earth.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

If the car is +ive earth, then the +ive connection on the coil goes to the distributor, where the current goes to earth when the points close.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Observation. The battery voltage is a little low 12.6/7 volts would be healthier. Not the cause but a battery overnight charge
might improve things.
The voltage drop of 1 volt is indicative of poor connections ..battery to solenoid ,ignition switch , fuse box,
coil. After 60 odd years a clean up ( back to bare metal ) might improve matters. The fuses might warrant
a more critical look. So often it has been said on the forum that fuses "look OK " and it later turns out they are
suspect / faulty.
Take them out of the fuse box to test and clean the holding clips of any rust / corrosion. Ensure the metal
ends of glass fuses are firm.
Other things to look at. The low tension wire from the coil to the distributor. Is that sound / clean both contact ends ?
Do the resistance check with the multi meter on Ohms and wiggle / flex the wire whilst doing it. The circuit is breaking down somewhere along the line. No circuit = no spark.
Bob
ferret76
Minor Fan

Post by ferret76 »

Problem solved. In my haste to fit the new condensor on the side of the road with two crying children in the car and traffic wizzing past my backside, I connected the wire on top of the plastic insulator instead of underneath it where it needed to be in contact with the LT wire.
Schoolboy error.
Cheers Bob for your help.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Glad you cracked it ! Good man for " 'fessing up " to the schoolboy error. I've made more than a few of those in my life.
Look after that little family of yours and safe motoring.
Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thank goodness it wasn't the coil....... :wink:
ImageImage