By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuupnorth
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

wipers problems

Post by stuupnorth »

hi All
I'm having problems with my wipers
i recently replaced the wiper boxes with the correct ones(car 1960 clap hand)
and new wiper arms but it seems the arms(mainly passenger side) becomes lose and in fact
lost one. bought replacement from a well know parts source and last night it happened again
Luckily managed to retrieve the arm and blade
i thought of putting some ptfe thread tape around the spindle
any better ideas ??
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: wipers problems

Post by mogbob »

What do your suppliers say about the problem ?
There is clearly a mis-match between the spline on the wheel box spindle and the spline in the arm. It should be a snug fit.

Something like a Threadlock / Stud and bearing Adhesive ( e.g Loctite a common manufacturer ) would probably " fill the gap / discrepancy between the splines " but... when the time comes to separate them it won't be a piece of cake. PFTE tape will be a temporary fix.. for how long ? How long is a piece of string. ? You are going to spend almost as much on decent glue as you are on a new arm ( if it is the arm that is the problem ! ).

Best solution would be to try and get the car to your supplier of the wheel boxes and get them to supply the arms that fit
your car. i.e try them in their presence to establish , in Trading Standards terms , they are " fit for purpose " !!
Bob
stuupnorth
Minor Fan

Post by stuupnorth »

they seem to be a snug fit
the other option i thought was fitting a grub screw through the wiper arm into the spindle the idea of taken the car to the supplier might prove a small problem LOL I'm in N-east Scotland and the supplier in in the south east of England
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Ah !! Supplier not quite local then.
Sadly I don't think there is enough "meat" in the metal to get a grub screw to bite but how about a very small roll pin ?
That might do the trick.
Bob
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I had the same problem on my old Landy. Instead of tape I used sugru,which cures into a flexible rubber. It's been fine since and I used the spare sugru to fix a few nicks in the windscreen rubber.