Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Alternator Slip Ring Lucas ACR type

Post by pertwoodpie »

Thank you for all your advice.
MY orginal probelm was an alternator that intemitantly worked. On opening it up I found that the bushes were worn and the slip ring was in poor order after 4 years of use and less than 20k miles this was not good.

So I ordered up a repair kit from BB classics

Read on to find out what happended next
Last edited by pertwoodpie on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Re: Alternator

Post by Trickydicky »

Sounds like you have found the fault in the brush sticking and not making proper contact. I would replace the brushes, make sure there not sticking and go from there.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Alternator

Post by oliver90owner »

Marcus,

It is far cheaper to replace the slip ring, as well as fitting new brushes, than replacing the alternator.

The drive end bearing might need to be replaced at the same time (I've rarely needed to replace the bearing at the slip ring end) if high mileage. Unfortunately not all alternator refurbishers fit more new parts than necessary. If only 4 years old, and low mileage, the brushes should not be worn out yet. The outer brush nearly always wears faster than the central brush. I suspect this alternator was not a fully reconditioned unit and the slip ring was already worn - or cheap, substandard parts were fitted.
pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly

Re: Alternator Slip Ring Lucas ACR type

Post by pertwoodpie »

Here is an update,
i decided to get a refurbishment kit from BB classics it arrived the next day.
As mentioned before one of the brushes was badly worn as was the slip ring.
I had trouble getting the slip ring off and in doing so have now got confused as to what wire went to what terminal!
any ideas would be welcome.
But it got worse the slip ring i purchased didn't arrive with the insert clip and the badly worn one didn't have one.
On closer inspection it was also the reverse way around ie the top and bottom terminals on the slip were opposite to each other, and the one taken off has a slot in the top to clip it in place and had been glued..so a unit refusing to be serviced and from China no doubt.
Will speak to BB classics in the this morning about the clip and about buying another alternator as long as their kit fits their alternators, unless they will take it back will keep you posted.
So do I go for 45 or 55 amp alternator and any ideas about the slip wires?

thanks in advance
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Completely altering your OP, after you have received advice is not at all useful. The responders will perhaps know your initial problem but anyone else will not - and they won't be able to see that the post started from an intermittent alternator operation and has progressed to you not knowing which contact is which. I am sure BB Classics will sort you out, probably offering a fresh alternator.

Take your pick of new alternator capacity. I expect there will be a price difference, but do take into consideration any implications, of altering any specification, before purchasing.
pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly

Post by pertwoodpie »

Thank you very much for your criticism Oliver, very helpful.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

We had an alternator failure after a similar mileage and time, and also looked at an overhaul kit that was ~£35. It was one of the 'large' body Lucas ACR23 55A ones, and in the end decided that going new was probably better, and bought a 75A A127 'Type' for just over £50. Not 'genuine' Lucas, but so far has behaved very well (that was 1 year and 3,000 miles ago).

The life cycle of aftermarket alternators seems to get shorter and shorter, but the 'new' cost seems to get less and less, so maybe the new 'consumable' to be replaced every 4-5 years?

With respect to editing the OP, it is often helpful to see the trail of problem through fault finding and analysis, which is lost if the OP is effectively deleted! On the other hand, updates are always very welcome.
Richard

pertwoodpie
Minor Friendly

Post by pertwoodpie »

I spoke to BB Classics and have purchased a 45 amp alternator and am told the repair kit will fit this one.
Was also told that they don't sell the clip with the kit!
So its down to the wires on the old one which goes to which on the slip ring...
be good to sort out the old one for a spare.
I hear why well we run two travellers as well as the van and are used most days as we have no modern cars!
thanks
Marcus
Its bad news Islip Minor all this after market stuff is of poor quality, often a repair involves fixing one of these bits! thanks for your advice.