Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
welshrat
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Lighting assistance please

Post by welshrat »

I have recently noted some odd things happening when I put the lights on (side, dipped and full beam). All is well when first switched on but as I pull off the main beam light on the clock lights up and the petrol gauge drops to empty, this does not happen if stationary when revving the engine. Any thoughts would be gratefully received. Should mention that I switched to an alternator recently, not sure if this is related. Everything else electrical seems to be good.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Lighting assistance please

Post by oliver90owner »

Something , somewhere, loose I would guess. I might expect it to occur if braking sharply while reversing?
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

would suggest that something behind the speedo is lose ,petrol guage goes out because its either loosing feed or earth(More likely) and power is being now drawn by light. I think the earth to most behind clock is common ,take glove box out so you can get behind and fiddle with connections. its also possible that there has been a short at some time and the wires are bare, swinging about on movement making and breaking contact . needs looking at for safety reasons ,fire risk etc
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Thank you for the information, will have a look and let you know.

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Had a look behind the clock but nothing obvious. I changed the clock some time ago as the original one was about 10 MPH out due to the 3.7 diff, I was not able to use the fixing bolts on the new one so it was just held in by the retaining ring. Fitted an additional earth wire from clock housing to body which appears to have sorted the problem. Thanx for the advice.