Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Trafficators with indicators

Post by olderisbetter »

After a bit of digging into the wiring i have sorted out all the bad add ons and dead ends i am looking at making the trafficators active, I have tested they work by powering them up and all is good, The traveller is a 1958 and I know it must have had indicators added and the trafficators disconnected after manafacture, It has an indicator stalk now and the bit i am unsure of is what it would have had a switch for the trafficators on the under dash somewhere, I want to run both the trafficators and indicators maybe at the same time, Is anyone doing this already and what method has been used, Thanks Rob.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Trafficators with indicators

Post by myoldjalopy »

A 1958 car would have originally had the trafficators working off the 'indicator' stalk. When the flashing indicators were added, the trafficators would have been disconnected and the stalk connected up to the flashers.
So, it would now be possible to wire in both the flashers and the trafficators to the stalk. However, I would advise having them on separate switches, as there are times when you might not want them both going at the same time (e.g. at speed, when the trafficators may be held out by air resistance! Or parking, when they could get snapped off :( ). In that case, fit a period switch, like this, for the trafficators: https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... ategory/44 You may find an old one cheaper at an autojumble or through this forum! If you go this route, it is best to make up a little bracket so you can fiit the switch under the dash, instead of drilling holes in the dash. I will try and post up a picture later of mine so you can see what I mean.
If you have two separate switches, you have an auxiliary way of indicating, should one system fail! :D
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Here is a piece of metal fabricated into a bracket, with two holes on top for self tappers and a hole for the switch wires (it also needs two holes for the screws fixing the switch to the plate, not yet drilled in this pic):
2017-04-26 15.25.56.jpg
2017-04-26 15.25.56.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 3030 times
And here it is, with switch, mounted under the driver's glovebox:
2017-04-26 15.27.13.jpg
2017-04-26 15.27.13.jpg (714.03 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
Hope this is helpful......
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

We have a 1958 with both flashing indicators and trafficators.

The wiring diagram below shows what is required and I have used 2 relays to control the feed to the trafficators - both relays operated from a single switch:
Combined Trafficators and Flashing Indicators incl relays.jpg
Combined Trafficators and Flashing Indicators incl relays.jpg (358.71 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
When the new switch is turned 'ON', both trafficators and flashing indicators work using the standard indicator switch, and when 'OFF', only the flashing indicators.

The alternative to using 2 relays is to use a 2-pole single way switch, but it will need to be rated at a minimum of 5A to take the trafficator load.
Richard

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks both, I think 2 seperate systems would be better to save the trafficators from gettting broken or poking me in the eye as it nearly did, I have a big box of switches and relays to make something up with but those trafficator switches look a nice period part.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Try not to leave them out and then exit the car and walk into one. They don't half snap off easily.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Mine are wired so as to retract when the ignition is turned off, even if the stalks not cancelled, to avoid precisely the getting out of the car and snapping the lens.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

That's sensible. I'll look at that.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Yes that would be a good set up not being able to lose an eye or break anything, The standard trafficator bulbs are quite dull so i want to fit LED bulbs, I have seen the flshing ones but i will be happy with just something brighter.

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

LED flashing festoon bulbs are brilliant, maintain originality of trafficators with at least some chance of them being seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLwsOD ... e=youtu.be
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

That does look good, I think i saw the bulds in flashing LED for about £12 each, Not a bad price if it makes me safer.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I have These fitted to my Austin and they are brilliant, both in the sense of being seeable but also the idea of them working. The original bulbs however, fit inside a channel and the electronic board that is used to provide the flashing negates this restriction allowing the whole to slide out sometimes. Then they do not Flash anymore. I used a small glue blob to provide stabilty.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I have not had that problem . The flashing led festoon bulbs are a perfect swap for the normal ones, despite the side circuit boards. Getting the tension right on the spring arm in which one end sits, is key to not allowing them to move in the lens and it maintains a good contact as well.

JM
Attachments
mbimage.php.jpeg
mbimage.php.jpeg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

btw many of the new replacement lenses don't even have the channel.