Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

6v car

Post by Sandun »

Hi friends ,
I want help from you - my friend have 6v classic car , problem is the 6v battery not in here , then he want to use 12v battery for the car, but he not like to convert the car ,to 12v

So he asks help to convert 12v battery to 6v - Do you know some device for it please help.

Regards
Sandun

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: 6v car

Post by oliver90owner »

An old type battery with external cell connections could be tapped for 6V, I suppose. Not really a chance with modern valve regulated sealed batteries. Sourcing a 6V battery should not be too difficult, I would hhave thought.

Dynamo, bulbs and regulator are usually the main components which need to be changed if converted to 12V. A ballast resistor addition into the coil supply or coil change is also a necessary mod. Heater and wiper motors, indicator module and radio may not be compatible, either.

How old is 'classic'? Some classic cars might even have electric window winders, too. But unlikey on a 6V system
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Sleeper »

Sandun
The internet could be your friend

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shield-421-6v ... SwYHxWO31A

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/6v-cla ... r-battery/

Maybe you can source one a little more local?

John :wink:
Last edited by Sleeper on Sat May 20, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by BrianHawley »

It looks as if a 6v battery is your only solution.

You can get step-down gadgets to convert 12v dc to 6v dc, but they are low current and would not handle a starter motor. You also have the problem of charging it.

Have you tried local motorcycle and tuktuk suppliers? Some of them use 6v batteries.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Thank you my friends - seem to be it can not do ....without 6v battery

colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

Sandun
6 volt car batteries are readily available here in UK - internet. Have just purchased one for a 1929 Ford truck which is all 6v. It was pricey though -£90. Volvos and VW Beatles used 6v well into the '50s
Colin
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

mgb used two 6v linked also
silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

I doubt you'd find 12v to 6v DC converters that would handle the starting current but you could consider using motorcycle batteries - try one from a large capacity motorcycle. If needs be wire two or more in parallel to get the extra start current (the Cold Cranking Performance (CCA) figure for the battery is important for starting)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.