Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Column-Mounted indicator stalk

Post by Rabbitt »

I've decided to supplement the trafficators on our 1956 split-screen and install flashing indicators. Lots of helpful stuff here in the forum with choices and wiring options to use either both trafficators/flashers , or not ... I guess the good thing is that the trafficators work fine after all these years !..I'll decide whether to wire both in due course. Anyway ... the Hella indicator stalk switch part No 4208 has provided a great retro alternative rather than a dash-mounted one. Although we had to fabricate a "collar" and fit it to the thinner steering column to increase it's diameter (the switch securing band is not quite small enough) but once fitted all looks great.
One small issue that we encountered - and someone may have some experience with is the stalk switch rotates together with the steering wheel and on occasions can brush a taller drivers leg in a full-right turn position. It is something that probably one can get used to .... but has anyone got any input on this ? I have rotated the stalk upwards as far as practicable so far. I think the stalk-mounted indicator modifications on later Minors rotate in the same fashion ?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: Column-Mounted indicator stalk

Post by firedrake1942 »

I think the problem here is that the later - Post October 56 i.e. Series III had a column surround with felt bush (occasionally oiled to stop squeaking) which was captive on the dashboard support and through which the column passed See bottom photo. This was non-self cancelling and incorporated the horn - the subject of much in my view, unwarranted criticism. The later models had the indicator light in the body and horn in the wheel centre.

After 1962 (ish) the more 'modern' cowl covered assembly was adopted with the indicator light on the end of the stalk. This too, apart from the contact assembly for the self cancelling system, was assembled on a captive sleeve See top photos.

The Series 2 steering column does not have a sleeve, it has a bush and clamp at the dashboard. If you therefore mount the indicator assembly direct the the column, it will inevitably turn with the wheel.

It is possible to modify as in the very first photo but it looks to me that the entire column may have been replaced and with a late LCV assembly as the key / ignition is also on the column.

Has any Series 2 owner done this with any of the existing later indicator arm assemblies or indeed with an aftermarket one. I think the mini one was popular at one point. . Many people seem to use two teardrop switches, one for the indicators and one for the trafficators. You can get brown and white so as to distinguish them.
Attachments
s2steering.jpg
s2steering.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
imagesind 4.jpg
imagesind 4.jpg (5.8 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
imagesind 3.jpg
imagesind 3.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
imagesindic early.jpg
imagesindic early.jpg (3.21 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Having the column switch mounted on a Series 11 column so that the switch rotates is pretty hopeless isn't it? When I owned a Series 11 Minor I simply fitted the complete column from a later Minor 1000 which made the car much more practical for everyday use. If I didn't want to alter things too much I would use the original dash mounted switch and two flasher units to operate trafficators and flashers simultaneously.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

You can have both winkers and trafficators operating from the same switch with a Lucas DB10 unit.
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

Thanks all.. yes agree .. the rotation of the stalk was not ideal , workable but an annoyance. Since I wished to keep everything 100% original it was either a dash mounted teardrop switch , or maintain and adapt the Hella column switch option. We ended up fabricating a much better solution which will not only help my daughter learning to drive (getting used to usual indicator position etc) - but ended up looking good also. We mounted a short "steering column" shaft in Oak , directly alongside the steering column bracket mounted under the dash. It has been stained and matches the colour of the brown metal column - unobtrusive and effective. The switch is instead attached to the shaft. I've also left the trafficators all operative and original but just removed the white factory switch lever temporarily. The trafficators are fine but the self-return is not working and I have already had an "accident" while exiting the car with the driver's trafficator extended. ! ... better to disable until I can sort it. Will send photographs later if anyone is interested , maybe also the indicator lights as well since it might be an option/suggestion for those who do not want to drill holes in the car !
Hella 4208.jpg
Hella 4208.jpg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
This was my solution.
Like you my series 2 column has no shroud, so rather than a rotating column mounted switch I went with the original style switches, white for trafficators (with the flashing LEDs fitted) and black for indicators, via a flasher can, which also operates the light in the centre of the (black) switch.
Positioned next to the steering column, they both fall nicely within reach for easy operation.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
rsz_dscf29911.jpg
rsz_dscf29911.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

Nice setup Mike .. I might need to go with the same switch for the trafficators at least if I cant get the time delay fixed....thanks
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Does anyone know how the time-delay switches work? I once heard they should have some sort of oil inside which slows the return of the switch but that may - or may not - be a fact. It is true that many (like mine) immediately switch off once you take your hand off, rather than the slow return they are meant to exhibit, which suggests something has worn or broken - or, if they do contain oil, then the oil is gone.
Any thoughts?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I was under the impression that the timer-delay had a small mechanical movement like an old clockwork kitchen timer, but with only a 15-second running duration.
1956 4-door called Max
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As above, I'm sure I was told they were a clockwork like mechanism but I was also told that once they're broken they're not repairable and replacement is the only option. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. I think a straightforward switch is better anyway.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

The time delay switch is pneumatic, a leather seal pushed by a spring, the air escaping is reduced by a small conical screw, to slow down the return to the centre.
I have made them work before, they can be very temperamental, the leather seal is softened with oil, having said that, mine failed again this W/E.

Regards Win
South Yorkshire
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Win - thats a very interesting piece of info. Thanks
1956 4-door called Max
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Check out the six pages of info here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/ts101.htm It shows how to dismantle and repair these type of switches :D
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,
This was my solution.
Like you my series 2 column has no shroud, so rather than a rotating column mounted switch I went with the original style switches, white for trafficators (with the flashing LEDs fitted) and black for indicators, via a flasher can, which also operates the light in the centre of the (black) switch.
Positioned next to the steering column, they both fall nicely within reach for easy operation.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Mike, As mentioned here is the setup I went with .... I made use of 2 holes already in the front radiator body frame either side and fabricated a small bracket for the front - similar for the rear ... the flashers are normal globes not LEDs .. (motorcycle indicators.) The stalk is the Hella aftermarket and mounted next to the steering column. Ultimately I was relatively pleased with my goal of not drilling holes anywhere and being able to return the car to original..all works good.
Attachments
20170804_170333.jpg
20170804_170333.jpg (502.03 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
20170804_170326.jpg
20170804_170326.jpg (508.81 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
20170804_170155.jpg
20170804_170155.jpg (333.17 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Very neat, below is what I came up with using the larger style light units. I was less worried about cutting a slit in the (more readily available) bumper valence.
Nice unusual colour by the way, what is it called? (Apart from blue :wink: )
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
DSCF3014(1).JPG
DSCF3014(1).JPG (1002.59 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
DSCF3021(1).JPG
DSCF3021(1).JPG (786.37 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
DSCF3022(1).JPG
DSCF3022(1).JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4805 times
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

Good job Mike ... did you get a spray match from a colourshop ?... the blue is a turquoise -ey hue. It appears there is only 1 topcoat as I can see the base primer in places on the door sills - but I'm unsure if its original. The car has been stored in a garage since 1992 (last MOT) and hasn't been touched or altered. Someone with more knowledge here about the factory paints on export CKD models might recognize it.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

jagnut66 wrote:Nice unusual colour by the way, what is it called? (Apart from blue :wink: )
Best wishes,
Mike.
BMC Australia used a number of colours that were never seen in the UK. This shade of blue came up in a forum discussion some months ago about an Australian CKD Minor before. According to:

http://www.morrisdownunder.com

it could be either Austral Blue or Regal Blue these being the only two Minor-specific blues listed for 1956. The page also lists a huge choice of colours available across the BMC Australia range that year, including several other blues... so take your choice!
1956 4-door called Max
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly

Post by Rabbitt »

Three "blues" from that Oz site thanks .. appreciated .... quite a few other pics with this blue on the site. The one next to the green in the foreground looks like the one ...cheers
Attachments
Morries.jpg
Morries.jpg (64.25 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Good job Mike ... did you get a spray match from a colourshop ?..
Unfortunately it's not a match, simply the nearest I could get.
The nearest paint matching place to me I could find wanted a panel to analyse, their paint matching hand held 'laser thingamybob' didn't recognise it and looking through their colour charts proved fruitless.
I was not prepared to take the car off the road whilst they spend ages trying to match the paint on whatever panel is easiest to remove. So until she is next resprayed the closest one will do.......
Best wishes,
Mike.