Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Leyland
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Fuel tank sender unit

Post by Leyland »

Continuing with my restoration I have recently fitted new petrol tank, and a NOS sender unit. Checking the electrics when I turn ignition on the fuel gauge reads full, yet there is no fuel in tank.
One thought the tank is bedded in a mastic to seal it to the bodywork. Could I not be getting a good earth connection.? The leac from the gauge to the sender is all ok. New wiring harness. Any thoughts please. Ty
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Re: Fuel tank sender unit

Post by Declan_Burns »

Test it with a test wire from the sensor unit to earth. If that solves your problem connect it permanently.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Leyland
Minor Fan

Post by Leyland »

Thanks Declan.
Another thing that has come to mind is the type of sender unit. I understand that there are two types of sender. I have a gold face speedo and fuel gauge. I read somewhere that the sender unit changed when black faced speedo and gauge were introduced. Is that correct.
I think my sender unit is a later one. Fairly flat top with lucar connector. Could I have the wrong sender for the gauge?
Any help appreciated
Ty
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Yup two types of sender (three if , as I believe to be the case the MM had a very early one) roughly divided into Gold faced speedo / fuel gauge and black faced ones. Inevitably the former are more expensive.

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/26-fuel-system
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes, if your sender has a Lucar connector it IS for the later (black face) gauge. You'll have to obtain the correct sender (or use the black gauge along with a voltage stabiliser I suppose).