Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Loom to rear lights

Post by biomed32uk »

Does anyone have a picture of the route that the loom to the rear takes when it leaves the engine compartment.

Mine takes a twist through what I think is the flitch plate (same one but on the otherside that the exhaust runs through), goes through and down the inside of the chassis leg, runs in between all of the clutch linkage which is where I think it is wrong and then carries on its way down.

It does not look right, and the wiring is not too good having been joined badly in the middle. I am going to make a new rear section of loom up and use a superseal connector in the engine bay tucked out of the way, but will take the chance to route it properly.

The brake line is also clipped but hangs lower than the chassis leg, so not sure about that either.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Loom to rear lights

Post by philthehill »

The wiring to the rear does run above the clutch linkage and through the O/S gearbox cross member half moon shaped side hole.
Care has to be taken to make sure that there is no chaffing between loom and clutch linkage.
The brake pipe runs in a similar way and should be clipped to the side of the chassis leg and not to the underside.

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

It was through the middle of the clutch linkage and then on through the half moon hole in the gearbox crossmember. Its certainly been chewing on the piece of PVC sleeving.

I will have to see what clips are there, and of not sort some out to make a decent job of it. I have already had to make some new ones up and weld them on to the underside of the floor pan to remove the self tapping screws protruding inside the car.

The brake line where it is just looks vulnerable, so will look at that as well.

I suppose as long as the wiring is neat, tidy and clipped it dosen't really matter the exact route it takes. I have ordered the respective lengths of correct coloured wires etc to make up an entire new section of rear loom
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

If anyone does have a detailed pic of the area around the clutch mechanism I would be grateful, I have found some by googling but whatever way the wiring takes it is all pretty close to the clutch mechanism.

A strange design really to run it all there, would have been better down the passenger side.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It may seem strange that the loom has to find its way past the clutch linkage but that is how it is - you have to find the best route and make sure that the loom does not rub against the clutch linkage. The position and movement arc of the clutch linkage is fixed so the only the loom can be moved/adjusted.
Whilst it may seem sensible to put the loom down the N/S chassis leg out of the way - the same problem would occur if the car was L/H drive with the loom along the N/S chassis leg.
Google 'images of the underside of a Morris Minor' and there are a few pictures on there but all are faced with the same problem.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=image ... 80&bih=876

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=image ... 3893851617

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Unless you're a " conkers" person,why not run it inside , under the carpet ?

John :wink:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
Easy if you are making up your own loom as the original loom could not be guaranteed to be suitable for an internal route. There will also be the problem of passing the loom from the engine bay to the passenger cabin and then from the passenger cabin to the boot.
The best and easiest way is to fit the standard loom as it should be ensuring that the loom is not fouled by the clutch linkage.
I would suggest that the majority of Minors use the original route for the loom and have no problems.
Phil

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Some further info on here
https://www.mmoc.org.uk/Messageboard/vi ... hp?t=52701

although seems to be interpretations rather than definitive!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here are a couple of images posted by TvdWerf some time ago.
Whilst the car is L/H/drive the routes of the loom and brake pipes are clearly visible.
Both loom and brake pipes go over the top of the cross member.
http://mmoc.org.uk/mbimage.php?src=1441815009_12584
http://mmoc.org.uk/mbimage.php?src=1441815051_12584

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Thats really useful guys, my loom was over the top of the relay shaft and then coming down and along. While it is encased in some PVC sleeving thats gone rock hard it has been chewing into it.

The tangs that are there have been bent the other way with the brake pipe now being the lowest part, so should anything come up and hit the area the brake pipe is the most vulnerable part.

I am looking at making a shield come clip that utilises the relay shaft plate screws, so it will hold said items against the chassis leg and prevent them coming into contact with the clutch mechanism. nothing fancy just a piece of thin sheet 3" or so long curved and a couple of lugs on it to go under the screws.