Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
594rmm
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Vacuum spring

Post by 594rmm »

My 1098 usually runs really well , but started to run really badly ,low power and backfiring etc, after looking at the usual bits i found the vacuum unit spring had come off its peg, popped it back on ,off we went, it did the same again yesterday, why has it started to do this ? has a clip pinged off the peg ? although i don't recall ever seeing one .Thanks everyone
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Vacuum spring

Post by les »

Try a new spring, the one you've got could have a bad end. Make sure the spring is the same thickness as the one you replace. There is no clip, the spring just locates over the peg.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You cannot replace the spring on its own it is fixed to the diaphragm inside the vacuum advance.
The spring is not listed as a separate part in either the BMC Minor 1000 parts list or with MOSS.
There is no clip fitted to the peg the spring eye just pops over the peg
You can try bending the spring downwards so as to ensure that pressure on the spring is always downwards.
Having looked at the price from MOSS I would be tempted to do anything except replace.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/vacuum-un ... soc=136854

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I was referring to the backplate springs being operated by the vacuum, oh dear!

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
I do not know which distributer springs you are referring too?
The only other tension springs in the main distributer body are the mechanical auto advance springs qty 2 and they have nothing to do with the vacuum advance which is what the OP is having trouble with..
Phil

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've ordered a new vacuum unit from these people

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MORRIS-M ... 0005.m1851

I've ordered the unit listed for the 1275 Midget. Haven't got it yet, so can't comment on quality - but the price is right :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

philthehill wrote:Les
I do not know which distributer springs you are referring too?
The only other tension springs in the main distributer body are the mechanical auto advance springs qty 2 and they have nothing to do with the vacuum advance which is what the OP is having trouble with..
Phil
Phil, I'm way off track here, I'll try to read posts properly in future! :roll: I'm thinking of the small springs operated by the weights. Please ignore me! :D