Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
southerly95
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Loose ignition switch

Post by southerly95 »

I’ve had at least three attempts to tighten my 65 Minor’s Ignition switch but find I get it tight only to find it becomes loose again within a few uses.

I have the bezel tool and am using the wavy washer in front of the nut but can’t keep them solid. Short of using a dollop of David’s isopon can someone describe best technique or sequence please.

Many thanks, John
[sig]4918[/sig]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Loose ignition switch

Post by firedrake1942 »

Put a second nut on the thread behind tighten the first and then against it tighten the second
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

There should be a thin brass nut fitted onto the ignition switch thread firstly and that is adjusted fore or aft on the thread so that when the switch is fitted into the dash panel hole the bezel nut is tightened sufficiently so as to nip the dash panel between the thin nut and bezel nut.
There is a flat on the side of the threaded portion of the switch? That corresponds with the flat of the dash panel ignition switch hole and so stops the switch moving/rotating which in turn stops the switch bezel nut coming undone.
Do you have either flat?
A common problem is for the dash panel hole to become totally round so allowing the switch to come loose.

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Both the the above are absolutely correct. Another option is to use a serrated washer between the dash and the rear nut.