Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
raseys
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fitting a gps tracker

Post by raseys »

Hi, I have a 1964 Morris 1000 still on pos earth and I will be switching to neg at some point. But was wondering if anyone has fitted a gps tracker and which one they fitted and where they put it and how they wired it in. No modifications have been made to my moggy at all
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fitting a gps tracker

Post by SteveClem »

I read that lots of owners use a cheap,hidden,mobile phone as a tracker.
Lots of other anti theft suggestions on this forum.
dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dp »

There are quite a few trackers on Ebay. As they are sim based, some of them can take instructions via sms to, for example, switch a circuit on or off. The minimum they need to get running is just continuous live and earth. You can add in alarm sirens and cut into other circuits. Personally I've found that the two Chinese trackers I've used don't do any more than track location even though they are supposed to be able to do more. But that's all I need and they're cheap

Two tips: 1) remember that the tracker will eventually drain the car's battery if you don't use it often.
2) See if your mobile phone company does free texts between the same provider. Ie the tracker might come with an 02 sim but you are with EE so it could be better to use an EE sim in the tracker. I use giffgaff for personal phone and their data sim for the tracker is £5 per month with free texts. In other words, the tracker costs £5 per month in total. I haven't found a cheaper way.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by olderisbetter »

I was told certain phones could have new software fitted to turn them into tracking devices that also took pictures and listened in, never found the info though.