Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

In line fuse.

Post by midget »

Trying to rewire the van with new loom, and am puzzled by the in line fuse glass (red cable) that resembles the feed usually used for radio. but seems to be part of the proper loom? My other Minor, which I am using as a guide does not have this?
John
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: In line fuse.

Post by mogbob »

John
The lighting part of the electrical circuit is "independent " of the ignition ( fuse box ) side of the electrical circuit. The concept is that you can leave your lights on when parking in a dark street.
The main thick red wire has an in line fuse ( usually 10 amp ) to protect the lighting part of the car. ( Earlier cars didn't have this in line fuse according to the wiring diagrams. )
Bob
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I’m not sure what the question is, but I would be wiring any new loom according to the accepted workshop manual for that model.

Many would consider the original fusing to be fairly basic. Fuses are there only to protect the wiring which is fed from them and nothing else. The radio feed fuse would be there to protect the wires to the radio and not the radio. The fuse fitted could be of lesser duty than the line, but must not be rated greater than the line can safely carry.

The problem with fitting extra fuses is the original limited fuse box, so any extra fuses must either be fitted in line or in an extra fuse box . I would expect this fuse holder is either shown in a later edition wiring diagram or added as an extra line protection for a thinner supply wire.

Directing a question to the loom supplier is likely going to solve any perceived enigmas.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

The fuse is 10Amp for Side, Tail, Number plate and dash panel light. So that is everything on the side light circuit after the light switch.
Regards John
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks for reply. I can understand now why (as it was a later addition) it is there now.

To clarify to anyone is in any doubt to the question--I have availed myself of 3 diagrams (the supplier does not include one in the sale) and they ALL have different coloured wires to each other, so having to work out which wire does what. On the subject of additional fuses, I have already fitted an aftermarket 10 way fuse box, with internal bus bar, in place of the limited options of the standard item.
I am not an electrical expert, but have an ex Morris Garages mate from whom I can call on if needed and will check my effort before firing up. Just wondered why an in line fuse was used in this case.
John
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

John
" Why one in line fuse ? "
You have to put yourself into the " mind set " of 70 years ago. A mass market car with " no separate chassis " was cutting edge stuff.
Electrical circuits on cars had moved on from 6 volt systems , positive earth , lighting systems little better than candle power.The Morris Minor , with two main fuses , survived for a number of years quite happily.

My Euro box has three separate fuses boxes and I simply don't have the time to count how many individual fuse circuits there are !!
Current Electric / Hybrid cars are taking the development of automotive electrical systems into a totally new dimension , evolution moves on
relentlessly.
Good luck with the rewire. I found the UK British Standard BS-AU7 wiring code invaluable for identifying what colour wire should be used for what.
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/colourcodes.htm
Bob
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks for link Bob. It makes more sense than the diagrams that I have been using. Trouble is previous owners seem to have put their own interpretation on the original. Take your point concerning modern electro boxes, they must be a nightmare to re-loom.
John
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

John
Previous owners tend to use whatever wire is to hand for electrical upgrades.
When you're really scratching your head over the loom , spare a thought for the guy who bought a car that had been re-wired.
Great ... you would think.. one less thing to worry about on the Resto. Small detail... he'd rewired it all in new Red cable.
You think you've got problems , eh ? Keep smiling.
Bob