Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Help this Electricle part number of S.U

Post by Sandun »

Hi

My Friends , anyone know what is the value of this Ressitor (blue colour )please see the pic .

Regards
Sandun
Attachments
pumpquench4b.jpg
pumpquench4b.jpg (13.57 KiB) Viewed 1649 times

KeithL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Help this Electricle part number of S.U

Post by KeithL »

I don't know but you could try asking SU directly - info@burlen.co.uk

They may need some more details about the item number etc. but it is worth a try. I have always found them very helpful.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Sandun
Whilst there is no harm in asking Burlen Fuels reference the resister you may not get an answer to your question.
I would suggest that the fuel pump is an after market item - looking on the Burlen web site I cannot find a resister listed though it may be well buried somewhere in there.
SU electrical pumps normally do not have a resister fitted.
If you get any problems come back to me - Burlen Fuels are local to me and I can pop in and ask them about the resister.
Phil
Last edited by philthehill on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Deleted duplicate post.

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

That looks like a disk capacitor to me.

It is probably for spark suppression on the points.

Don
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Sandun
I have found the repair kit with the blue diode-resister included. See link below for details:-

http://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spare ... -1985.html

The diode/resister has been fitted to reduce the spark erosion of the contact points.

See the link below for details:-

http://sucarb.co.uk/technical-electrica ... onnections

Phil

silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

When a I rebuilt a pump a long while back I used a P6KE18A Fairchild Semiconductor Diode (Transient Voltage Suppressors Axial Unidirectional 600W) across the points.

Check out:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

crossword
Minor Fan

Post by crossword »

I agree with Don , looks like a ceramic disc capacitor . It should have a value printed on the underside , which you could see by gently pulling it off the points . Looking at the size of it possibly 0.047 or 0.022 microfarad ( a guess ) together with an indication of maximum working voltage . Looking on ebay the blue capacitors seem to be 1 KV working voltage .

Andrew .
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

It does look like a disc ceramic capacitor but it is a Metal Oxide Varistor, 18V DC should do the job. It is a resistor that changes value with voltage, high resistance below 18V and low resistance above 18V so would be like a short circuit to the back EMF when the points open helping prevent arcing. They come in various voltages and work on AC or DC, the voltage being different for both because of the peak to peak of AC.
They do 14V ones but the vehicle voltage is higher than that when the car is running, that is why I recommend 18V. A suitable one would be marked S14K14 the S14 denotes the diameter of 14mm and K14 denotes 14V AC/18V DC, you could also use S10K14 the 10mm version.
Your photo comes from an article in MGB Stuff that also show a photo of a S14K385 Varistor which would be of no use, it has to be S14K14 or S10K14.
The original capacitor value fitted to the pump was 0.047uf at 400V, so you could use a 0.047uf at 1kv disc ceramic capacitor if that is easier for you get. A disc ceramic of this value and voltage will have a diameter of around 20mm and 5mm depth.
Regards John