Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Emleyowl
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Solenoid?

Post by Emleyowl »

I can only start her up by bridging the the leads on the solenoid.does this mean I need a new solenoid or are there other things to check?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Solenoid?

Post by philthehill »

Do you have a power supply to the solenoid from the ignition switch when you turn the key to turn the engine over & start?

If you do have power I suspect you will need a new solenoid.

Emleyowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Emleyowl »

The red and yellow lights are on the speedo. But when turning the key nothing happens. No click and no start. If I can turn it over by bridging the terminals does that mean there power to the solenoid?
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

You need to check there is power on the small leads to the solenoid - they are what actuate the coil in it to bridge the heavy leads and energise the starter motor. :D
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Ensure that in neutral with handbrake on, ignition OFF. Locate the white/red with that runs to the side of the solenoid and remove it. Using a separate piece of wire, connect it to the terminal where the white/red wire was. Touch the other end of the wire to the non-earthed terminal of the battery. If the solenoid clicks and the engine turns over then the fault is in the ignition switch or the wiring from the switch. If nothing happens then the solenoid is faulty. If there'e already and empty terminal on the solenoid and no white/red wire attached then that's your problem!
Emleyowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Emleyowl »

Cheers. Diconnected the red/white wire from the solenoid and bridged the terminal to the battery. Fires up. Time to check the ignition now👍
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Do you have a security switch fitted?
Emleyowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Emleyowl »

No .I have taken the ignition barrel out and cleaned it up. It was covered in what looked like wd-40.put it back together and she works fine.ordered a solenoid but don't need it. I will keep it as a spare. The red/wire removal and a lead to the battery is a trick I have learned today and will prove invaluable in future.thanks for all your help guys.