Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parkview094
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Headlight Gremlin

Post by parkview094 »

My offside headlamp dipped beam has stopped working.
I swapped the main beam and dip connections over and retested to make sure the bulb was good, which it is.
With the lights connected up, the dip connector shows 0v when turned on with my multimeter. If I disconnect the bulb connection, my multimeter reads 12v. 0v with a bulb, 12v without. Any idea what's going on here?
As a temporary hack I've swapped main beam and dip over, so at least Ive got 2 lights for normal driving..
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Re: Headlight Gremlin

Post by BrianHawley »

It sounds as if there is a high resistance somewhere between the battery and the dip bulb. With no significant current the voltage does not drop. But putting load on it, there is a voltage drop across the resistance and you measure 0 volts.

You say you swapped the dip and main connectors and the dip lit up. But did the main also fail to light? That would pretty much confirm it. Suggest you trace the cable back from the connector looking for poor joins or burns.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

It sounds as if there is a high resistance somewhere between the battery and the dip bulb. With no significant current the voltage does not drop. But putting load on it, there is a voltage drop across the resistance and you measure 0 volts.

You say you swapped the dip and main connectors and the dip lit up. But did the main also fail to light? That would pretty much confirm it. Suggest you trace the cable back from the connector looking for poor joins or burns.
Brian

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Hmm. Seems to have posted twice.

I swear I only clicked once :)
Brian

beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by beero »

Where did you swap the main and dipped beam connections?
The best way to check the bulb is to put it in the nearside lamp and make sure both elements light or else test it with your multimeter.
If your nearside headlamp is working okay on dip the the fault is between the bullet connectors next to the front offside inner wing and the headlight, (or the bulb is faulty)

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Assuming the b ulb is OK, the bullet connectors 'beero' refers to may just need cleaning up but on mine they were so bad I had to replace most of them with new......