Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Want Advice - After Alternator conversion

Post by Sandun »

Hi

My friends , I did Alternator conversion my 1957 car - i got the kit , Battery terminal voltage was 14.5v when it run - Now i want to know , the 14.5v is it fine ?, not again burn condensers and coil heating problems witj Alternator ? What about your cars ?

Because i ask this I want to use the car for long trip .

Regards
Sandun
Attachments
20180528_153109.jpg
20180528_153109.jpg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 1143 times

mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Want Advice - After Alternator conversion

Post by mogbob »

Sandun
The Battery reading of 14.4 volts , after fitting the Alternator , is fine.
It means your battery is being charged up / replenished fully.

With the engine off ,after a little rest , take a volts ( DC ) reading on the battery. A good condition ,fully charged Battery should read between 12.6 / 12.8 volts.
If it is less than this , the Alternator when the car is running , will try and " supply " volts @ 14.4 / 14.5 volts
until your Battery is fully charged. The closer it gets to " fully charged " the voltage being supplied by the Alternator will drop from 14.5 volts to something around 12.5 volts. It will continue to " trickle charge " the Battery until a greater Electrical demand is made of it

Remember that the electrical load being taken from the Battery varies with conditions. Daytime , nice and dry and sunny = very little load. Nightime ….lights on, raining... wipers on , cold ...heater on , etc = a bigger load.

The Alternator will always ( unless it's broken ) try to keep the Battery in tip top condition , so what you
" measure " with the engine running , will always vary / be slightly different.

Have a safe trip.
Bob
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Many thanks Dear Bob.

I thought i have to fix a external regulator for supply voltage to the ignition coil and Redio. - as yor explain it not want .

Finally

With dynamo i used , amp meter and voltage meter , Now I have wired it Avoid Amp meter (direct to the solonoid from Alternator ) - Only Voltage meter .

It is a 30 - 0- 30 Amp meter - can i use it with Alternator ? ( may i want 60-0-60 one )

Using Amp meter with Alternator , good or bad ?

Regards
Sandun.

MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MikeNash »

Dear Sandun,
I've been using a 30-0-30 ammeter for some years with my alternator and had no problems.
Regards from MikeN.
It's gone on twice! How did that happen?
Last edited by MikeNash on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MikeNash »

Dear Sandun,
I've been using a 30-0-30 ammeter for some years with my alternator and had no problems.
Regards from MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Lead acid batteries begin to hydrolyse the electrolyte above the normal maximum charging voltage of 14.4 volts, for a six cell battery, (plus a small amount as a ‘safety net’).

The alternator will charge at this voltage all the time, unless the load is greater than the alternator output. The alternator circuitry does not sense anything other than the machine or battery voltage. You should notice that lights become brighter if the alternator is charging than even for a fully charged battery (without the engie running). A battery will simply not be charged unless the charging voltage exceeds the battery voltage.