Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Fan - can I convert heater as a fan ?

Post by Sandun »

Hi My friends

I want a fan to my car , I not in cool country , - what is the best solution for it , if i found a heater , can i convert it as a fan ?

Regards
Sandun .

mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Fan - can I convert heater as a fan ?

Post by mogbob »

Sandun
Do you want a fan to cool the engine or a fan to cool the passengers inside the car ?
The fans inside heaters are unlikely to be of sufficient size to move the volume of air you will need for either
situation.
Bob
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Does your car have a heater at present? Even if you don't need it then it might be there and could be used as additional cooling for the engine, but making the passengers even hotter. You could also disconnect the hoses from the heater and join them together. This would preserve water flow through the head and allow the heater to blow non-heated air into the car - it's never going to be cool air as it will simply come from outside. Other than that, I'd agree with above.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Back in the seventies I shared a Minor with 3 other students and we had electric fans mounted on the left and centre of the dash. Worked great but probably illegal now.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Still sold in the UK (even Mothercare sell one) so presumably not illegal although probably best removed at MOT time! :D
1956 4-door called Max
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Thank you for all, can you tell me any Solution for cool inside the car ? I have seen Ttermador fan in pic , but it is big

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

hello Sandun
With so many people here in the forum being based in more temperate climates that you are, I think that having explained the situation with the heater we're now only guessing at possible solutions for you.

From personal experience of hotter climates over the years, all I can think of is have all the windows open and perhaps fit a blower fan. There are lots of such things around, because even in the USA there are people driving old trucks and cars without air con.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-12V-Car- ... SwY5Ra4XDN

What do your fellow local car drivers do, if they are not in a modern car with air conditioning?
Basil the 1955 series II

BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Hi Sandun.

If you ever get up to Kandy, the Elephants' Stable guest house have a lovely old car - Morris Oxford I think, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I was in Sri Lanka.

It has a retro-fitted air conditioning unit. Small compressor and a discrete unit under the dash. Does not look at all out of place and cools very well. I understand they sourced it from somewhere in Colombo.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.