Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Oil around the Sparking Plug

Post by Sandun »

Hi My friends

I see some oil around the No 2 Sparking plug (count from radiator side ) in my 1000 car. So i remove the plug and replace with it No 3 sparking plug and change the ignition wire (new wire ) ( i use copper wires - DM2 distributor )

Today I see it back in same No 2 Sparking plug around the oil , why ?

Hope this information help to you for help me

1. My Distributor cap old now - but i can not see any faulty
2. other plugs work well
3. wire connection read correctly on multi meter ( No 2 wire i checked )
4. Rotor is god 9 new from Distributor Doc
5.Nearly i changed my coil place to wing side after conversion Alternator , and i have to use long HT ( coil wire) wing side to Distributor cup ( about 2 feet wire - old wire 1 feet )- My coil is ceramic resistered one - all this happened after conversation. ( the car was fine before )

Many Thanks
Sandun

RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Oil around the Sparking Plug

Post by RobThomas »

Leaking oil from the big rocker box on the top? Cork seal not sitting correctly?
Cardiff, UK
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Sandum
+ 1 with Rob's assessment.
Wipe the cylinder head with a paper towel or rag , all around and above the No 2 Spark plug hole so that it is dry.
Start up the car to get the engine warm and observe the rocker cover gasket join above No 2. Using a torch sometimes helps , held at an angle to the cylinder head so you can see if it is leaking.

If you are lucky you can cure it by tightening down the two nuts , holding the rocker cover to the cylinder head.
Don't go mad otherwise you might " squash " the gasket so hard that it starts leaking in other places as well.
You can alternatively buy a tube of goo to spread on the join to stop the oil leak.
https://www.frost.co.uk/oyltite-stik-oi ... ealer.html

Another option , take the rocker cover off the car , clean the gasket surface ( straightening it if necessary, so that it lies flat ) and the metal cylinder head area it " sits " on. Re fit and re check for leaks.

If all else fails, fit a new rocker box gasket.

Bob
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Thank you , I will check it tomorrow - can oil come inside ? I mean ,from Sparking plug hole ?

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Very doubtful, but checking the colour/state of the plug electrodes should give you a good indication. Even while swapping the plugs you should have noticed a difference, unless you did it in the dark with your eyes shut! :D

Also the plug washers would both need to be defunct.

Do not overtighten the securing nuts. That will only deform the rocker cover and likely make the problem worse.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If the oil was coming from inside the cylinder then you would notice many other problems. I expect it to be coming from the rocker cover gasket. Not always immediately above where you see the oil collect, it might be further forward and blown backwards by air from the fan. A light dusting with talcum powder might help show where the oil is leaking.
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Oil around the plug .
Attachments
20180702_103136.jpg
20180702_103136.jpg (4.33 MiB) Viewed 1948 times

Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

After remove plug.
Attachments
20180702_093535.jpg
20180702_093535.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 1948 times

Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Seem to be oil come inside the hole . , what happen now :cry:

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The oil around the plug is a symptom of the plug sealing washers not sealing which is a common problem if the plug sealing washer seat area is not kept clean especially when removing & re-fitting the plugs.
Solution:- clean the plug cylinder head sealing washer face and replace the plug sealing washers or plugs.
File a flat (to just below the thread root) on an old plug and gently screw the plug into the plug hole. The flat will act as a thread chaser and clean off any crud that may be stopping the plug from screwing fully home. Once done turn the engine over on the starter to blow out any crud from the cylinders.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/10x-Budget-Spa ... 0005.m1851

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Spark-Pl ... SwR6RaQw0K

The cause of the oil in the first place - it is more than likely to be oil getting past the valve stem seals. The small 'O' ring seals are next to useless. If possible the seals should be replaced with the proper top hat seals and the valve guides with top hat seal retaining groove which are available from ESM.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/engine ... l-p1209547

If the valve stem seals do not cure the problem then in all probability the bores/rings are worn.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Don't laugh but could oil from the dipstick have dripped when checking the oil. It's close to the plug.
Yes a long shot! :D

Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Unluckily Not refill Oil - how i check the value rings (I tell about the part that ESM selling ) . Where is it of the engine ?

Can we think , the problem come from bad Distributor cup ?

Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Many Thanks for Advises - All are fine now

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Good news, what did you find as cause of problem?
Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Hi My friend , it was just ignition problem , I just used color sparking checking tool , then i could see small diffarent like timeing out / not spark well , Then I change the Distributor cup , Because I am 100% sure about plugs , wires, rotor ( in good condition.)

All are fine now - No oil -

If the sparking plug not spark well /timing out , fuel fill in the inside and they mix with carbon and oil - and quickly deposit carbon on points of the plug - After that easily come out oil mark like this. It is a delusion , Dont go to remove Engine just see oil on the plugs.