Passenger rear side indicator light

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jbtuba90
MMOC Member: Yes

Passenger rear side indicator light

Post by jbtuba90 »

I have been working on all the lights for my newly purchased 1971 traveller. I have them all working except I cant figure out why the rear passenger indicator light will not flash. The front left one does. I have check the electrical wiring all the way to the flasher unit and no broken wires. I have replace the bulb receptacle and new bulb... any suggestions?... Could there be an issue with the flasher unit?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Passenger rear side indicator light

Post by palacebear »

Is there a good clean earth connection to the faulty lamp? Does the left front flash at normal rate or faster?
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

If the front one flashes, (or even just the other side) then the issue cannot be with the flasher unit. The problem will be either the live supply or the earth to your rear flasher. You need to test those. A simple tester - just a bulb in a holder with two lengths of wire - is all you need for this. Every Minor owner should have such a thing! If you have a live supply and an earth, then your new bulb and holder should work. That is all it takes :)
jbtuba90

Post by jbtuba90 »

Thank you very much... the front flasher is very rapid..I will check both the power and ground leads again. I need to get one of those testers LOL

Thank you !
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Your symptoms are typically of an open circuit fault. Commonly a blown bulb, but can be the holder or the wiring. A systematic approach to diagnosis works every time.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jbtuba90 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 am Thank you very much... the front flasher is very rapid..I will check both the power and ground leads again. I need to get one of those testers LOL

Thank you !
If the front is flashing rapid, it's a classic indication of an open circuit on the rear (or vice versa of course).
In your case, if the 'lamp, filament' i.e. 'bulb' is OK, then it's a broken cable or a dirty earth point. As the meercat would say.... 'Simples!'

A simple multimeter is easy enough to use for continuity and voltage checks; I'd recommend getting one, especially as they start from about £4 on ebay these days.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital- ... 0005.m1851
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Often the bullet connectors in the boot are are corroded/dirty. Or, as already suggested, the problem could be a corroded/dirty connection in the bulb holder itself, or in the earth connection. It shouldn't take long to find :)
I had similar problems a while back and, although I could make a temporary fix by wiggling the aforementioned bullet connectors, in the end I replaced all the connectors in the boot area as they were pretty well shot - and all good since (about 10 years now).