Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hunsta
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

preliminary wiring for motor start up

Post by Hunsta »

Gday all. Ive got a new 948cc motor in my 1948 Morris 8 E series (say what? :o you say) And wiring to me is like Greek to a Chinaman. I intend to have the car fully wired by a auto electrician. But before I get to that stage ,Id like to start the engine for the first time.
Now yes Ive got a manual, but then I go back to my original Greek statement :oops: .
So basically Ive kept the car positive earth.
So is it
Positive to earth
Negative to starter (using only to turn engine over)
Positive of coil to Dist
Negative of coil to negative of battery

Is that right or have I got something DONT SWEAR OR YOU WILL BE BANNED about face :roll:
Please bare with me here as I started with a blank canvas. Mechanically Im ok. Wiring Im not, if I havent seen it in place in the first place.
Cheers
Craig
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Re: preliminary wiring for motor start up

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Your description of the connections are correct, the only thing you may have over looked is your engine and gearbox have rubber mountings so you need to add an earth strap big enough to take the starter current between the engine or gearbox and the car chassis, and a supply to the fuel pump unless your using the lift pump on the engine. I suppose the only other thing is how you’re going to operate the starter, I think the Morris 8 starter had the switch incorporated into it and was operated via a pull cable, the early Minors had a pull switch that was mounted on the bulkhead but could be used and mounted elsewhere on your car or you could go the solenoid route. I guess for now you’re going to hold the wire to the stud on the starter with care not to short it to earth.
It would be advisable to have an oil pressure gauge fitted for the initial start up.
Just one last thing the Morris 8 was 6 Volts and I expect you'll be using 12 Volts so bulbs, fuel pump etc, will have to be checked to see what voltage they are.
Regards John
Hunsta
Minor Friendly

Re: preliminary wiring for motor start up

Post by Hunsta »

Thanks John for that. My 8 has been completely stripped of 6V electrics. Basically I have aMorris 8 body and chassis being run by an A series Motor, gearbox and rear end..
Basically I just want to fire the motor up briefly. So most wiring will be just gerry-rigged for that purpose. Full wiring will be done by a professional.
Thanks for the conformation.
Cheers
Craig