Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MKT
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Electronic ignition

Post by MKT »

I was thinking of fitting electronic ignition to my 68 saloon, but went to a show at the weekend and two minors fitted with accuspark failed, on one the engine was missing, the other would not start, both converted back to points and running ok, is this common, do other members use these modules and are there any preference on make, or should I stick with points, any help appreciated
Ron
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Electronic ignition

Post by Sleeper »

I have had long good memories of both Sparkright and Lumenition in both bikes and cars...with 0 failures over 40 years...

The good thing about sparkrite is it's a true add-on bit of kit with a switch to revert back to points only , if needed AND a timing light....

John :wink:
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Sorry should have put this post in electrical, but I don't know how to move it

Ron
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MKT wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:31 pm Sorry should have put this post in electrical, but I don't know how to move it

Ron
You can't; only a Mod /Admin can (on every other phpBB I know of)
Basil the 1955 series II

GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

My Midget came with Powerspark fitted and has given no problems, and I will probably get the same for the Minor. I don't miss having to adjust points!
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I got through 2 condensers in 1,000 miles. I then fitted a Powerspark unit 18 months ago and have had no trouble since.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Oh Dear...........

I have an Accuspark distributor fitted on my Traveller.
Touchwood, so far it has proved to be a vast improvement over what was fitted when I bought the car which was a Lumenition system. That was probably 20 years old, so was past its best anyway.

I have fitted my spare distributor body with another new Accuspark module and carry that as a spare just in case of a failure.

Phil
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

After 6 months of juddering power and not being able to find a fix, I changed to Accuspark and lost about 20% of the cars power - but gained reliability. I therefore established my problem was not heat evaporation, or a dirty carb, or failing condensors but probably a worn distributor or possibly the coil - but someone told me "its never the coil"! God rest his soul.
Loosing so much torque (948 Trav), I got my mechanic to check it, still the same, so got another trusted mechanic to check it, still the same. My car gradually lost all power going up steep hills in Sheffield. So I complained to Accuspark and in fairness they did send me a new internal electronics. Fitted this and it seems abit better but still not its previous revvy self. I recon it is now only 10% slower.
I think the mistake I made, was fitting an original Lucas coil rather than ungrading to a sports coil. I have since heard the sports coil produces a bigger spark providing the extra torque the Accuspark stole. Although I am yet to try this.
Therefore, I would not recommend Accuspark, instead spend abit more - I'd call the Distributer Doctor and listen to his advice.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

fitted mine 10 years ago from accuspark and have never had an issue since.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

The Issigonis Kid wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:36 pm After 6 months of juddering power and not being able to find a fix, I changed to Accuspark and lost about 20% of the cars power - but gained reliability. I therefore established my problem was not heat evaporation, or a dirty carb, or failing condensors but probably a worn distributor or possibly the coil - but someone told me "its never the coil"! God rest his soul.
Loosing so much torque (948 Trav), I got my mechanic to check it, still the same, so got another trusted mechanic to check it, still the same. My car gradually lost all power going up steep hills in Sheffield. So I complained to Accuspark and in fairness they did send me a new internal electronics. Fitted this and it seems abit better but still not its previous revvy self. I recon it is now only 10% slower.
I think the mistake I made, was fitting an original Lucas coil rather than ungrading to a sports coil. I have since heard the sports coil produces a bigger spark providing the extra torque the Accuspark stole. Although I am yet to try this.
Therefore, I would not recommend Accuspark, instead spend abit more - I'd call the Distributer Doctor and listen to his advice.
When I fitted an Accuspark kit to my Traveller (with 1275cc MG Midget engine), it initially wouldn't start at all. I had to release the distributor base clamp and turn the body of the distributor a fair way (a good 20 degrees or so) to get it to start, then take it for a run and tweak it until it just didn't pink (pre-detonate) when accelerating in a high gear or going up hills (which is the optimum ignition timing).

So, I would suggest having a play with your distrubtor body position; if you release the base clamp just enough so that it twists with a fairly firm pressure but tight enough to maintain its position and find yourself a nice clear stretch of road to carry out test runs (easier said than done!), experiment until you find it's running at its best, then tighten the base clamp once you think you've found the best setting.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I fitted the Accuspark module about 2 years ago after suffering from issues with poor quality ignition parts, straight swap for the points and no adjustment of the dizzy required, since then I have had no issues and the engine (948cc) runs much smoother.
I did not swap the complete dizzy as I felt the cost of a new one with a module was too cheap against buying the module alone, this made me wonder about the quality of a complete new dizzy with module.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

Chipper : Thanks for this - I went for the new Accuspark distributer too and I'm aware both my mechanics (old school from the 70s) went for a drive and kept stopping to set it so I'm happy thats been done. I'm sure the problem I have is not fitting a sport coil as I wanted to keep the car looking original so didn't fancy a red or gold coil. For the sack of £20, I'll upgrade.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I have had one Accuspark module fail in 4 years, just died while going along as if I had turned the key. I just carry a spare baseplate with a new module fitted, should it happen again 2 screws and all is well again.

My bright red Accuspark coil got sprayed satin black, it stood out like a sore thumb otherwise.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

One thing I did when I bought the Accuspark distributor was to replace the rotor arm with a "Distributor Doctor" red one.
I dare say the one fitted by Accuspark was probably OK, but I thougt it wise to use one of known good qaulity.
I keep the Accuspark one in the car as a spare.

I did buy the complete kit which includes the bright red sports coil, so far it has proved to be reliable and the car performs very well.

Phil
Mark C-C

Post by Mark C-C »

Does anyone have experience of fitting an Accuspark Distributor to a negative earth car?

I'm just trying to do it. The car is negative earth. I have just converted it. However, I am confused by the wiring of the new distributor. Originally, when it was positive earth it had a striped wire going from the coil to the distributor from the positive side and the other one went to the switch. It is the striped wire that I am confused by. Is it still needed?

I understand that the red wire and the wire to the switch should both go to the positive connection on the coil as it is now a negative earth car.

The black wire from the distributor has a male connector on it. Does this have to go to the negative pole on the coil , in which case i will have to change the spade to a female. Does the old striped wire also go to the negative or is it no longer needed?

Thanks
Mark C-C

Post by Mark C-C »

Sorted it. Sorry for asking. Accuspark just answered an email I sent them.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Don't apologise; if you don't ask you don't get.