Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lellyden
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Solenoid starter problem

Post by lellyden »

When I turn the key there is nothing no click or any noise. Put a screw driver across the terminals and the engine turned over. But when I turn the key nothing. Will this just mean I need a new solenoid. Many thanks Den
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Solenoid starter problem

Post by pgp001 »

Are you getting 12 volts from the ignition switch onto the solenoid terminal when you turn the key ?
If you are then you probably need another solenoid, but check that it is properly earthed as well before buying a new one.

If you are not getting 12 volts to the solenoid you need to work backwards and check that the ignition switch is getting 12 volts from the fuse. If not then check the fuse is OK. If it is then you probably have a faulty switch.

It is always possible that you have a bad connection in the wiring somewhere, I had an intermittent fault with the horn circuit that turned out to be a badly crimped bullet connector loose on its wire, and it was buried behind the glove box to make matters more difficult.

Phil
lellyden
Minor Friendly

Post by lellyden »

Done all the above and yes we have the solenoid working from the key. Engine turns ok. Will try to get engine running on Monday when I'm of work. Many thanks Den
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

So...
a - What was the problem, or are you keeping that to yourself, because I'm sure some of us would like to know.

b - Any chance you could mention the result on the other Topics you've got running with this problem, so that members don't waste time suggesting answers to something that's solved?

Thanks
Basil the 1955 series II

lellyden
Minor Friendly

Post by lellyden »

L have a few issues that I have put on this site thanks for all the help. The first problem was no lights on the dash board ie clock loose wire and bad connections. Cleaned items got lights on dash working. Then the other problem was the solenoid starter. Not working cleaned all parts for a better earth. It was s second hand part.. After putting in on all worked fine. Going to try to get engine running tomorrow when I'm of work. Again many thanks Den