Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Alternator better???

Post by arnoldsally »

Hi, I purchased a new alternator and fitted it after some wiring problems.
The instructions did not say join the two wires together from the F & D and the drawing was not clear also.
I searched this forum and found someone who at the end of his remarks said "don't forget to join the wires together and connect the little wire to the thin wire from D. Thanks to this forum I competed it and when I rev the engine up I get 14.1 volts.
What I don't like is if the lights are on and I am ticking over the amp meter goes - 4/5 amps and the voltage drops to 12.1, to me its no better than the dynamo.
Has anyone else had this or maybe I am missing something?

thanks

Patrick
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Alternator better???

Post by geoberni »

I think you've perhaps got a mix up with the D wire(s).
There's previously 2 wires going to D, as per this post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39514

it's almost certainly not connected up correctly; but I'm happy on a Generator, so not sometime I've 1st hand experience of and I don't have time to looking into it right now. There must be plenty of people here who have done the job.
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

geoberni wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 pm I think you've perhaps got a mix up with the D wire(s).
There's previously 2 wires going to D, as per this post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39514

it's almost certainly not connected up correctly; but I'm happy on a Generator, so not sometime I've 1st hand experience of and I don't have time to looking into it right now. There must be plenty of people here who have done the job.
ok thank you
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

I will watch that, thank you.